Express this series in terms of the given series A(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ptolema
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let A(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... = Ʃanxn.

Express E(x) = a0 + a2x2 + a4x4 + ... = Ʃa2nx2n.
Do the same for O(x) = a1x + a3x3 + a5x5 + ...

Homework Equations



A(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... = Ʃanxn

The Attempt at a Solution


So I tried using A(x2) as a starting point, but got stuck on how to get the coefficients of A(x2) = a0 + a1x2 + a2x4 + a3x6 + ... to match those of E(x).
How would I begin expressing E(x) and O(x) in terms of A(x)? Could there be something I could do with sin or cos?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
awkward said:
Think about A(-x). What is its series?

A(-x) = a0 - a1x + a2x2 - a3x3 + ...
I see now. So when I add A(x)+A(-x), I get 2*E(x). Similarly, A(-x)-A(x) = -2*O(x). Thanks, your hint was a huge help!