1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing complex function in standard rectangular form

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    I'm given a complex function in the exponential form:

2.5j e^(-j40*pi)

Transforming this into the standard Cartesian form is pretty straight forward, but the extra j multiplying the 2.5 is kind of throwing me off. I don't know if I did it right, but this is what I did:

2.5j (cos[-40pi] + jsin[-40pi]) = 2.5j (cos[40pi] - jsin[40pi]) = 2.5j (1-0) = 2.5j

Is that correct? I don't know if it is or not, because I don't see how you could transform it back into the original form after putting it into Cartesian form. Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Looks right to me. Is there a way to check the answer?
  4. Jan 27, 2009 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes that's correct :approve:

If you are having difficulty transforming it into the original form, it is probably because the original form is not really the polar form.

The polar form of 2.5j is 2.5e^(j*pi/2) but that is equivalent to the original expression since e^(-j*40pi)=e^0=1 (since the complex exponential has a period of 2pi).
  5. Jan 27, 2009 #4
    Ok good :)

Such an odd question, I guess it was more or less to try and throw you off.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?