Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extending Bounded metric spaces to compact spaces

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    Hi
    Suppose (X,d) is a bounded metric space. Can we extend (X,d) into (X',d') such that (X',d') is compact and d and d' agree on X?

( The reason for asking the question: To prove a theorem in Euclidean space, I found it convenient to first extend the bounded set in question to a compact one ( its closure, to be exact.) and work with the latter. The proof can be generalized to complete spaces, but to go any further I need the answer to this question.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your theorem is true if and only if the metric space (X,d) is totally bounded.

Every metric space has a completion. So if your space is totally bounded, then the completion will be complete and totally bounded = compact.

On the other hand, if your space can be isometrically embedded in a compact space, then your space needs to be totally bounded (as each subset of a totally bounded set is totally bounded).

If you don't wish (X,d) to be an isometric to a subset of (X',d') but only homeomorphic to a subset of a compact metric space, then it suffices that (X,d) is separable.

4. Jan 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks so much Micromass! I honestly didn't expect such a clear cut and complete answer to my question. Total boundedness showed up several times here and there but I failed to see it was the key concept , and now it sheds light on a few other things I was struggling with ( such as how uniformly continuous functions act on ( totally!) bounded sets.) Everything is now in it its place!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook