Extension of a basis (exchange theorem)

In summary: So the basis could be {v1,v2,e3,e4} instead.In summary, when using the exchange theorem for extension to a basis, the only important factor is that the coefficient of the variable being replaced is non-zero. In the given scenario, the basis can be {v1,v2,e3,e4} or {v1,-(1/2)v2,e3,e4}.
latentcorpse
hi. ok if I'm using the exchange theorem for extension to a basis. i have the standard basis of 4 dimensional real space is {e1,e2,e3,e4}. and v1=e1+e2

then i can say that the coefficient at e1 is 1 which is non zero therefore i can exchange and get {v1,e2,e3,e4} as a basis. however if v2 = v1-2e2 say then what would be the basis i could make by the exchange theorem.

i reckoned it would be "the coefficient at e2 is -2 therefore by exchange theorem {v1,-(1/2)v2,e3,e4} would be a basis."?

Unless all that matters is that the coefficient of e2 is non zero and then {v1,v2,e3,e4} would be the basis?

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
hi. ok if I'm using the exchange theorem for extension to a basis. i have the standard basis of 4 dimensional real space is {e1,e2,e3,e4}. and v1=e1+e2

then i can say that the coefficient at e1 is 1 which is non zero therefore i can exchange and get {v1,e2,e3,e4} as a basis. however if v2 = v1-2e2 say then what would be the basis i could make by the exchange theorem.

i reckoned it would be "the coefficient at e2 is -2 therefore by exchange theorem {v1,-(1/2)v2,e3,e4} would be a basis."?

Unless all that matters is that the coefficient of e2 is non zero and then {v1,v2,e3,e4} would be the basis?

Help!
Yes, the only important point is that the coefficient is non-zero. Since the coefficient of e2 is non-zero, you can replace e2 by v2.

Suppose v= ae1+ be2+ ce3+ de4. Since v1= e1+ e2, e1= v1- e2 so v= a(v1- e2)+ be2+ ce3+ de4= av1+ (b-a)e2+ ce3+ de4. Since v2= v1- 2e2, e2= (1/2)(v2- v1) and v= av1+ (b-a)(1/2)(v2- v1)+ ce3+ de4= (1/2)(3a+ b)v1+(1/2)bv2+ ce3+ de4. The coefficients involve "1/2" but the basis doesn't have to. In fact, {v1,-(1/2)v2,e3,e4} is a basis if and only if {v1, v2, e3, e4} is a basis.

1. What is the "Exchange Theorem" in the context of basis extension?

The Exchange Theorem, also known as the Steinitz Exchange Lemma, states that any linearly independent set of vectors in a vector space can be extended to form a basis for that space.

2. How is the Exchange Theorem used to extend a basis?

The Exchange Theorem is used by selecting a linearly independent set of vectors from a given vector space and then adding additional vectors, one at a time, until a basis is formed.

3. Can the Exchange Theorem be applied to any vector space?

Yes, the Exchange Theorem can be applied to any vector space, as long as the space is finite-dimensional.

4. Is the Exchange Theorem a necessary condition for basis extension?

No, the Exchange Theorem is not a necessary condition for basis extension. There are other methods for extending a basis, such as using the Gram-Schmidt process or finding a spanning set for the vector space.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to the use of the Exchange Theorem for basis extension?

The Exchange Theorem can only be used for extending a basis in finite-dimensional vector spaces. It also requires the initial set of vectors to be linearly independent.