1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about inner product spaces

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose V is a real inner-product space and (v1, . . . , vm) is a
    linearly independent list of vectors in V. Prove that there exist
    exactly 2^m orthonormal lists (e1, . . . , em) of vectors in V such
    that
    span(v1, . . . , vj) = span(e1, . . . , ej)
    for all j ∈ {1, . . . , m}.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, just to be sure I have the right idea (this is not the proof attempt)
    I'll consider an orthogonal basis {u1} with j=1 so the non orthogonal basis for V
    is {v1}.
    I guess that if j=1 then let u1=v1 so e1=u1/llu1ll so two possible orthonormal lists are {e1} and{-e1} then after adding an additional element to the basis {v1} (call it
    v2) j becomes 2, the non-orthogonal becomes {v1,v2}, the orthogonal basis is {u1,u2}
    and u2=v2-proj_u2(v2) and e2=u2/llu2ll (with the other possible orthonormal basis
    being -e2) but since e1 and -e1 cannot share
    the same list, they must be put in separate (but similar) lists which double
    the amount of lists from when j was 1 so now we have {e1, e2} and {e1, -e2}
    and {-e1, e2} finally {-e1, -e2} four possible orthonormal lists. If m=j, thats it,
    but if not, eventually when it does, we will keep multiplying 2^j by 2 as each vj is added to the basis {v1..vj-1}.
    This isn't the proof, just want to see if I'm seeing this right.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: proof

Are you sure you stated the problem right? Consider, for example, that any two-dimensional real inner-product space has infinitely many orthonormal bases.

(edit: aha, nevermind)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: proof

Yeah, that's the basic idea. Given [itex]e_1,..., e_{j-1},[/itex] there are two choices for [itex]e_j[/itex] and they are additive opposites of each other

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook