Extracting a number out of a string in Java

In summary, To extract each individual integer from a string in the format of "int,int,int,int", you can use String.split(",") to break the string into an array delimited by commas. Then, loop through the array and use Integer.parseInt before pushing it into another array. If you require decimal numbers, you can use Double.parseDouble instead. A signed integer is a type of data that can hold both positive and negative values.
nkk2008
I have a string of the form "int,int,int,int" and I want to extract each of those ints into a variable that is an int. I have no idea where to even start (I am learning Java as I make a program for an internship, and my searching has yielded nothing).

Thanks,
Nkk

Technology news on Phys.org
You can use String.split(",") to break the string into an array delimited by comma. Then loop through the array and use Integer.parseInt before pushing it into another array.

DavidSnider said:
You can use String.split(",") to break the string into an array delimited by comma. Then loop through the array and use Integer.parseInt before pushing it into another array.

Thank you. You actually made another part much easier by introducing Sting.split to me.

Thanks,
Nkk

Ok, so here is some test code I made to quickly test how this would work:

String string = "1.5,2.3,0.4,2.45,245.4542,245.875,0.785,0.56765,56765.567";
String[] stringarray = string.split(",");

int test;

for(int i = 0; i<stringarray.length; i++){
System.out.println(stringarray);
test = Integer.parseInt(stringarray);
System.out.println(test);
}

And this is the error I get:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1.5"
at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:458)
at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:499)
at test.main(test.java:79)

Line 79 in my program is "test = Integer.parseInt(stringarray);"

The API entry for parseInt says " Parses the string argument as a signed decimal integer." Thus, I assumed the decimal nature of my ints would be kept intact. Was that a wrong assumption?

Thanks
Nkk

1.5 isn't a signed decimal integer.

Hurkyl said:
1.5 isn't a signed decimal integer.

So...um...how do I convert it to a signed int? What is a signed int? I looked online, and am sort of confused.

Thanks,
nkk

Common operations for converting real numbers into integers are "truncate" and "round".

Ok, (and this is where my total lack of any real knowledge comes in), how do I keep its decimal nature? In reality, these numbers are speeds that will be fed into a physics model for total energy used, so they need to be pretty exact.

Also, can someone explain exactly what makes an int signed?

Thanks for all the help,
Nkk

EDIT: Ok, further research has sort of explained this to me, and I have come to the conclusion I want to use doubles. So..is there a way to extract a double from a string?

EDIT2: So it seems I am totally idiotic, as Double.parseDouble is an obvious thing to use. Thanks to all who helped me.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of extracting a number out of a string in Java?

The purpose of extracting a number out of a string in Java is to retrieve numerical data from a string that may also contain non-numerical characters. This is commonly used in parsing and analyzing data from text files or user input.

What is the syntax for extracting a number out of a string in Java?

The syntax for extracting a number out of a string in Java involves using several built-in methods from the String class, such as indexOf(), substring(), and parseInt(). These methods work together to locate and convert the number from the string.

What happens if the string does not contain a number?

If the string does not contain a number, the extraction process will fail and an error will be thrown. It is important to handle this error using try-catch blocks to prevent the program from crashing.

Can a string contain multiple numbers to extract?

Yes, a string can contain multiple numbers to extract. However, the methods used for extraction may need to be adjusted to handle multiple occurrences of numbers in the string. This can be done using loops and conditionals.

Are there any alternative methods for extracting numbers from a string in Java?

Yes, there are alternative methods for extracting numbers from a string in Java. Some other approaches include using regular expressions, the Scanner class, or third-party libraries. It is important to choose the method that best fits the specific needs and requirements of the program.