Extracting Parts of Video Files: What Programs are Available?

In summary, if you are just looking to cut out a few clips or change formats, there are a lot of free or low-cost programs that can do that. If you want to do more complex editing, Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro may be more your style.
EIRE2003
I have never done this before, but what programs are available out there so that i can extract certain parts from a movie in .mpeg or .avi format?
Like in soundforge i can open an audio file and extract any waveform and copy it to a new window and process it, can i do the same for a video file?
Thank You!

Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like you just want to do some basic video editing, like just cutting out some clips from longer video files and possibly changing formats. If this is the case there are a lot of low end video editing programs that can do that easily. A quick search on download.com (for "video edit") yielded several that may do what you need, and most of them were 'free to try.'

If you are looking to buy a program you should know that the more powerful ones can be a little expensive. I use Adobe Premiere 6, and love it (I have used the older versions too, they work very well too). It is very powerful, has a ton of features/capibilites, and is not to hard to teach yourself to use. I have also used Final Cut Pro and found it to be very similar in terms of what it can do. I have a friend who loves Final Cut.
I am not as familiar with the more basic programs but i know they can be a lot cheaper.

A program you may want to look into is Vegas. i haven't use it much but it was made by the same company as Soundforge (they were bought by Sony, so I am not sure if there are any similarities anymore.) I can do video and audio editing and mixing. You can download a free trial here: http://www.download.com/Vegas/3000-2194_4-10228814.html?tag=lst-0-1

There are several programs available for extracting parts of video files, depending on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, VLC Media Player, and Handbrake. These programs allow you to open video files in various formats (such as .mpeg or .avi) and extract specific segments or frames from them. They also offer tools for editing and processing the extracted footage, similar to how Soundforge allows you to edit and process audio files. It's important to note that some of these programs may require a purchase or subscription, while others are free to use. I recommend doing some research and trying out a few different options to see which one best suits your needs. Hope this helps!

Related to Extracting Parts of Video Files: What Programs are Available?

1. What is the purpose of extracting parts of video files?

The purpose of extracting parts of video files is to take a specific portion of a video and save it as a separate file. This can be useful for creating shorter clips, removing unwanted sections, or isolating specific scenes for editing.

2. What are some common programs used for extracting parts of video files?

Some common programs used for extracting parts of video files include Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, and iMovie. There are also free options such as VLC Media Player and Avidemux.

3. How do I extract parts of a video using Adobe Premiere Pro?

To extract parts of a video using Adobe Premiere Pro, you can use the "Razor" tool to split the video into smaller clips. Then, use the "Select" tool to delete the sections you do not want. Finally, export the remaining clips as a new video file.

4. Can I extract parts of a video without losing quality?

Yes, it is possible to extract parts of a video without losing quality. This can be achieved by using a video editing program that utilizes lossless editing, which means the video is not re-encoded when it is split or trimmed.

5. Is it legal to extract parts of a video for personal use?

It is generally legal to extract parts of a video for personal use, such as creating a clip for your own personal enjoyment. However, it is important to note that it may be considered copyright infringement to distribute or share the extracted parts without permission from the copyright owner.