Extrapolating the Quality factor for decay in amplitudes

In summary: You're not responding to questions, you're summarizing content. Here's the summary:In summary, the conversation discusses the decay of amplitude in a given time interval and its relationship to stored energy, damping rate, amplitude, time, quality factor, period, and frequency. The equation Q = 2∏E/(ΔE) is used to find the interval t=QT, but there is uncertainty about the numerical answer and whether T=2∏. The stored energy will decrease if the amplitude decays by a factor of 2.
PhysicsKid0123

Homework Statement

By what factor does the amplitude decay in the time interval (which I had to find).

E: stored energy
γ:damping rate
a: amplitude
t: time
Q: quality factor
T:Period
ω: frequency

Homework Equations

Q = 2∏E/(ΔE)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the interval to be t=QT
but "one cycle" indicates T=2∏?

So I'm not exactly sure if I got the right answer for the quality factor by which the quality factor decays? I feel like there is supposed to be a numerical answer. Any insights? Did I mess up anywhere or took the wrong approach? Anything will help!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 00.JPG
    00.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 407
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the amplitude decays by a factor of 2 in a certain interval. What does that mean for the stored energy ?

Vice versa yields your answer without much effort !

[edit] In fact your answer can be made to look more attractive if you realize that ##\omega T = 2\pi## :smile:

Last edited:
BvU said:
Suppose the amplitude decays by a factor of 2 in a certain interval. What does that mean for the stored energy ?

Vice versa yields your answer without much effort !

[edit] In fact your answer can be made to look more attractive if you realize that ##\omega T = 2\pi## :smile:
It would lose half of it's stored energy?

Last edited:
Nope.

I would first clarify the question with the person who provided it. It seems that the question is asking for the factor by which the amplitude decays in a given time interval, t, which is equal to QT. However, it is not clear what is meant by "one cycle" and how it relates to the period, T=2∏. It would be helpful to have more context or information about the system being studied.

Assuming that the question is asking for the factor by which the amplitude decays in one period, T=2∏, then the quality factor, Q, can be calculated using the equation Q = 2∏E/(ΔE). However, the given equation does not directly provide the factor by which the amplitude decays. It is a measure of the system's ability to store energy relative to the energy lost through damping. So, to answer the question, we would need to know the specific values of E and ΔE for the system in question.

In general, the quality factor is a dimensionless quantity, so it does not have a numerical value. It is used to compare the efficiency of different systems in storing energy and is often used in the design of mechanical and electrical systems. It is also important to note that the quality factor is not a constant value, but can vary depending on the frequency of the system's oscillations.

Overall, without more information about the specific system and values of E and ΔE, it is not possible to provide a numerical answer to the question. I would recommend discussing the question further with the person who provided it or seeking clarification on the context and values involved.

What is extrapolation?

Extrapolation is a statistical technique used to estimate values beyond the range of known data. It involves using existing data to make predictions about future or past values.

What is the Quality factor for decay in amplitudes?

The Quality factor, also known as Q-factor, is a measure of the efficiency of a damped oscillator or resonator. In the context of decay in amplitudes, it represents the rate at which the amplitude of a signal decreases over time.

Why is extrapolating the Quality factor for decay in amplitudes important?

Extrapolating the Quality factor allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a signal over time. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance, where understanding the decay of amplitudes can help us make informed decisions.

What are some limitations of extrapolation in determining the Quality factor for decay in amplitudes?

One limitation is that extrapolation assumes that the underlying trend in the data will continue in the future. This may not always be the case, and the predicted values may not accurately reflect the actual values. Additionally, extrapolation can be sensitive to outliers and may not work well with non-linear data.

How can we ensure the accuracy of extrapolated values for the Quality factor for decay in amplitudes?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to have a sufficient amount of high-quality data to work with. Additionally, using multiple extrapolation techniques and comparing the results can help us get a better understanding of the potential range of values. It is also essential to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of extrapolation before interpreting the results.