Quality of an oscillating electron

In summary: Your explanation helps me understand where the discrepancy is coming from. In summary, there is no error in your work and your result for Q agrees with Feynman's result, but it appears that French's result is half of the correct result due to differences in notation and constants used.
PragmaticYak
Homework Statement
This problem is 3-16b) from French, Vibrations and Waves.

According to classical electromagnetic theory an accelerated electron radiates energy at the rate

K = (Ke^2 a^2)/(c^3)

where K = 6 × 10^9 N m^2/C^2, e = electronic charge (C), a = instantaneous acceleration (m/s^2), and c = speed of light (m/s).

b) What is the Q of the oscillator?
Relevant Equations
It was found in part a) that in one cycle, the oscillator radiates

ΔE = (8Ke^2 π^4 ν^3 A^2)/(c^3)

away, where A is the amplitude of the oscillator and ν is its frequency, in Hz. Also,

Q = (ω_o)/(γ)
E(t) = E_o e^(-γt)
ω_o = 2πν
The oscillator's initial energy can be found by considering when all of its energy is potential energy.

Eo = (1/2)kA2 = (1/2)mω2A2 = (1/2)me(2πν)2A2 = 2meπ2ν2A2

where me is the mass of an electron. With this in mind, the energy dissipated after one cycle is given by

ΔE = E(0) - E(1/ν) = Eo - Eoe-γ/ν = Eo(1 - e-γ/ν)

Solving for γ, we see that

ΔE/Eo = 1 - e-γ/ν

1 - ΔE/Eo = e-γ/ν

-γ/ν = ln(1 - ΔE/Eo)

Assuming that ΔE/Eo is very small, we can make the very good approximation

-γ/ν = ln(1 - ΔE/Eo) ≈ -ΔE/Eo

Thus

γ = νΔE/Eo = ν * (8K2e2π4ν3A2)/(c3) * (1)/(2meπ2ν2A2) = (4Ke2π2ν2)/(mec3)

Calculating Q, finally,

Q = ωo/γ = 2πν/γ = 2πν * (mec3)/(4Ke2π2ν2) = (mec3)/(2πνKe2)

However, the answer in the back of the book says

Q = (mec3)/(4πνKe2)

I cannot figure out where the error in my work is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any mistakes in your work. It looks to me like your result for ##Q## agrees with Feynman's result ##Q = \large \frac{3 \lambda mc^2}{4 \pi e^2}## given in formula (32.10) of Vol. I of his lectures.

Here it is important to note that Feynman uses ##e^2## to denote ##q^2/(4\pi \epsilon_0)##, where ##q## is the value of the charge in Coulombs. ##\lambda## is the wavelength of the radiation. French's constant ##K## is equal to ##1/(6 \pi \epsilon_0)## as you can see if you compare French's expression for the radiated power with the first formula given here.

Thus, starting with Feynman's expression for Q and replacing ##e^2## by ##e^2/(4 \pi \epsilon_0)##, replacing ##\lambda## by ##c/\nu##, and replacing ##\epsilon_0## by ##1/(6 \pi K)## you get your result. So, it appears that French's result is half of the correct result.

Last edited:
Likes PragmaticYak
Thank you!

1. What is an oscillating electron?

An oscillating electron refers to an electron that is moving back and forth in a repetitive motion, typically due to the presence of an electric or magnetic field.

2. How does the quality of an oscillating electron impact its behavior?

The quality of an oscillating electron, also known as its Q factor, determines how efficiently it can oscillate without losing energy. A higher Q factor means the electron can oscillate for longer periods of time without losing energy, while a lower Q factor results in a shorter oscillation period.

3. What factors affect the quality of an oscillating electron?

The quality of an oscillating electron can be influenced by several factors, including the material it is moving through, the strength of the electric or magnetic field, and any external disturbances or interactions.

4. How is the quality of an oscillating electron measured?

The quality of an oscillating electron is typically measured by its Q factor, which is calculated by dividing the resonant frequency of the electron by the bandwidth of its oscillation. The higher the Q factor, the higher the quality of the oscillation.

5. What are some practical applications of oscillating electrons with high quality?

Oscillating electrons with high quality, such as those found in superconductors, are used in various technologies including MRI machines, particle accelerators, and high-speed data transmission. They are also important in the development of quantum computing and communication devices.