Extruder Head: Cable manufacturing

In summary, the conversation is about troubleshooting issues with producing 22 AWG polypropylene cable. The person is experiencing problems with "missing insulation" and "reduced insulation", potentially due to an old Extruder Head that may not be centered. A mechanical engineer suggests that self-centering will occur and recommends against getting a preheater. However, soltice_9 suggests alternative heating methods such as microwave or ultrasonic heating. The speaker also mentions the importance of consistency in injection pressure, melt temperature, and conductor pull speed to avoid issues with insulation.
soltice_9
Hi,

I'm having trouble producing 22 AWG polypropylene cable. I keep on getting "missing insulation" and "reduced insulation".

The Extruder Head I'm using is quite old and I'm not sure that it is "centered". But a mechanical engineer told me not to worry, it doesn't mater if the Head is positioned to the side a bit, the conductor going into it will "self-center" itself! He was very adamant that the concept of self-centering works. I'm not sure how that works, because I'm not a mechanical engineer.

I'm thinking about getting a preheater, but I'm hoping for a lower cost solution (I was told the preheater is $30k).

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I must admit that from an engineering standpoint, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Going strictly by the English language, it makes sense, but I might not be grasping the finer details that an engineer would.
$30,000 for a pre-heater??! WTF?! You don't have to bathe the bloody thing in liquid gold just to warm it up.
I have no idea of what scale is involved, so I'm just going to toss out an idea or 3. Microwave or ultrasonic heating on-station. Deposit the cable in a steel tube and run it through an induction coil. Maybe high-intensity IR lamps.
I can probably think of some other stuff in the future, but that's it for now. I am currently on my 31st, 32nd, and 33rd shots of Scotch (I like to car-pool), so my analytical abilities are somewhat stifled.

soltice_9:

Self-centering is a phenomenon in cable jacket extrusion in which the melted plastic envelopes the conductor and forces it to the middle of the extrusion. The injection pressure allows the plastic to provide inward forces on all sides of the extrusion which are greater than the forces which move the conductor to the sides.

The problem with "missing insulation" or "reduced insulation" is one of variation in injection pressure, melt temperature, or conductor pull speed. There is no need to add another heater as the heating elements of your extrusion machine should be more than adequate to get a consistent flow.

"Missing insulation" and "reduced insulation" are the same problems of different degrees. The conductor is moving faster than the plastic melt. Therefore, find the sources of variation. As a last resort, slow down the pull so you are less susceptible to narrowing.

BTW, I'd like to be in Danger's carpool.

1. What is an extruder head?

An extruder head is a component of a cable manufacturing machine that is responsible for melting and shaping the materials used to create the cable. It is typically made up of a heating element, a nozzle, and a motor to control the flow of material.

2. How does an extruder head work?

An extruder head works by heating up the materials used to create the cable, such as plastic or metal, until they become soft and malleable. The heated material is then forced through a nozzle at the end of the extruder head, shaping it into the desired form for the cable.

3. What types of materials can be used with an extruder head?

An extruder head can be used with a variety of materials, such as plastic, rubber, metal, and even some types of glass. The specific material used will depend on the type of cable being manufactured and its intended use.

4. What are the benefits of using an extruder head in cable manufacturing?

Using an extruder head in cable manufacturing allows for more precise control over the shape and size of the cable being produced. It also allows for faster production times and can be used with a variety of materials, making it a versatile tool for creating different types of cables.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using an extruder head?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when using an extruder head. The heating element can reach high temperatures, so proper protective gear should be worn and the machine should be operated by trained personnel. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the extruder head to prevent any malfunctions or accidents.