F=ma -- True or an Illusion....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force and acceleration in relation to objects with constant velocity and during collisions. It is explained that while the force may be zero in a non-accelerating object, it will change during a collision. The relation between force and acceleration is also discussed, with emphasis on the fact that they are both vector quantities. The conversation also touches upon the role of negative force and acceleration in a body.
Pranav
Gold Member
Imagine, There's a ball in deep space traveling with a constant velocity of 25m/s and is having mass 25kg.
Now as I said, ball is traveling with a constant velocity that simply means acceleration=0 and now if we calculate the force with F=ma we will end up with 0. But if that ball collide with a Space Shuttle it will produce a change in velocity of shuttle, which can be only be done by force. So, how the hell can we say that Force is equal to zero in this case.

If you are weak in imagination try considering this as an example:-
One day, I am driving my 1814.369kg or simply 4000 pounds car on a straight road which is applying no friction to my car's with a constant velocity of 35m/s and suddenly Mr.Einstein comes in front of my car(even I don't know how) I thought of Newton's formula F=ma according to which Mr.Einstein will not die but will start traveling with me(As their is no friction being applied by the road) but when I actually hit the Mr.Einstein, he died.
If you don't believe ask your friend to hit you with a car with a constant velocity of 30km/hr and If you don't die=>
Congrats!

Next Time I am going to use speech to text for writing long questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that a ball has no acceleration now says nothing about the force and acceleration it will undergo when it collides with a space shuttle or the hood of your car.

Likes cabraham, QuantumQuest, russ_watters and 1 other person
jbriggs444 said:
The fact that a ball has no acceleration now says nothing about the force and acceleration it will undergo when it collides with a space shuttle or the hood of your car.
Sir, Do you want to say that Force is somewhere related to velocity...?

Pranav said:
Sir, Do you want to say that Force is somewhere related to velocity...?
No. If I'd wanted to say that, I'd have mentioned that acceleration is the first derivative of velocity.

The point is that F=ma relates acceleration (a) at a particular time to force (F) at that same time. It does not relate acceleration now to force later or force now to acceleration later.

Likes cabraham, QuantumQuest, russ_watters and 1 other person
jbriggs444 said:
No. If I'd wanted to say that, I'd have mentioned that acceleration is the first derivative of velocity.

The point is that F=ma relates acceleration (a) at a particular time to force (F) at that same time. It does not relate acceleration now to force later or force now to acceleration later.
But Sir my a is zero during my whole journey.

Pranav said:
But Sir my a is zero during my whole journey.
Not if you collide with a space shuttle, it's not.

Likes cabraham
jbriggs444 said:
Not if you collide with a space shuttle, it's not.
But if i collide with a space shuttle the my acceleration will be changed to retardation.

Pranav said:
But if i collide with a space shuttle the my acceleration will be changed to retardation.
Any change in velocity over time is an "acceleration", regardless of whether the object speeds up, slows down or changes direction.

Likes cabraham and Pranav
jbriggs444 said:
Any change in velocity over time is an "acceleration", regardless of whether the object speeds up, slows down or changes direction.
What if acceleration is negative, will Force also be negative??

Pranav said:
So, how the hell can we say that Force is equal to zero in this case.
The force is zero while it is not accelerating (free space) and non zero while it is accelerating (collision). The question is why you would think that the force should be the same in the two cases. Based on your own personal experience surely you can appreciate the fact that the force during a collision is different from the force during a non-collision.
Pranav said:
I thought of Newton's formula F=ma according to which Mr.Einstein will not die but will start traveling with me
If he starts traveling with you then what is his acceleration?

Likes cabraham, QuantumQuest and Pranav
Pranav said:
Yes. Force and acceleration are both vector quantities. They have both magnitude and direction. If the net force is in a particular direction then the associated acceleration will be in that same direction.

Likes Pranav
It is arising another question in my mind:- How will negative Force affect on a body??

Dale said:
The force is zero while it is not accelerating (free space) and non zero while it is accelerating (collision). The question is why you would think that the force should be the same in the two cases. Based on your own personal experience surely you can appreciate the fact that the force during a collision is different from the force during a non-collision.
If he starts traveling with you then what is his acceleration?
Thank You very much Sir you explained it to me in a very simple manner.
Once Again, Thanks!

Pranav said:
It is arising another question in my mind:- How will negative Force affect on a body??
A "negative" force is nothing more than a force in the opposite direction. For instance, staggering into the wall on the right and then staggering into the wall on the left.

Which direction you choose to call positive and which negative is purely up to you.

Likes cabraham
I'm not sure if You're figured it out by now, but something not said explicitly:

You're making the mistake of trying to apply f=ma as one single condition, over the entire life of an object. "a" (and its integrals and derivatives) has a time component, so the inputs and outputs can change over time.

Or more succinctly: your fist post says "in this case", when clearly it contains TWO separate cases where f=ma produces a different answer (both of which are correct).

Likes Pranav, QuantumQuest and jbriggs444
Likes adesh123
TurtleMeister said:
The op may be confusing force with kinetic energy.
That sounds close. One might [mistakenly] reason thus:

"There is a concept of the "force of a collision". The impacting object imparts this force on the target. In order to impart such a force, the impacting object must have possessed the force prior to impact. How much force did the impacting object possess? One applies the formula F=ma to see. If an object was on an unaccelerated straight line path then the force is zero. But wait, this makes no sense."​

The problem is that "force" is not an attribute possessed by an object. Instead it is a number that describes one aspect of an interaction between two objects -- how hard are they pushing or pulling on one another at a particular moment. Force is also not a conserved quantity. It does not have to be carried into and out of an interaction. It can change during an interaction. [And the "force of a collision" is more a meaningless generality than a specific measurable thing].

By contrast, energy and momentum are conserved quantities. At all times before, during and after an interaction the total momentum is the same. At all times before, during and after an interaction the total energy is the same.

Last edited:
Likes Pranav
Pranav said:
Of course. The acceleration is negative because the force was in the direction against the original velocity.
If you want to argue about this topic you need to stick to the coordinate system and get your signs right.
Look up the strict definitions of all the quantities that have been touched on in this thread. The system is self consistent and won't give you any paradoxes.

One thing to add: F = ma is a formula that is applicable at any point in time.

What I mean by that is that F = ma only tells you about the force at the instant you apply it. Say you apply the formula at t = 0. The force is F = ma, with a being the acceleration at t = 0. This tells you nothing about the force at t = 1. You'd need to apply F = ma, again, but this time a is the acceleration at t = 1.
F = ma gives you the instantaneous force, and the force at a given instant tells you nothing about the force at the next. So even if F = ma = 0 for the first leg of the journey, it doesn't mean that in the second leg, F = 0.

There are formulations of physics that aren't instantaneous, but rather, give you information about the whole path. One such formulation is the principle of least action, where you actually work out a property that holds for a given path. In classical mechanics, for instance, the principle tells you that the path taken will be the one that always has the lowest (or highest, it doesn't really matter. The point is that it is an extremum) value for ∫(K - U)dt for the given time of travel, where K is the kinetic energy and U the potential energy. This is descriptive of the path: you could make up any number of paths where this integral is not an extremum, but the principle of least action tells you that the real path is the one that always satisfies this condition. This is in contrast to the force approach, which tells you nothing about the path taken, and instead tells you the force at any given time.

Before the object hits the space shuttle, F=ma=0, since there is no acceleration.
When it hits the space shuttle, the object experiences a negative acceleration, giving rise to a negative force. Newton's Third Law says that this force must be part of an action-reaction pair, so the space shuttle experiences an equal positive force.
Pranav said:
I thought of Newton's formula F=ma according to which Mr.Einstein will not die but will start traveling with me(As their is no friction being applied by the road) but when I actually hit the Mr.Einstein, he died.
This is why Mr Einstein dies, because his body experiences a force from the collision. The car loses momentum and kinetic energy while Einstein gains momentum and kinetic energy. These are the two quantities that are "exchanged" during a collision. Force can change at any instant, and isn't conserved.

1. Is F=ma a universal law?

No, F=ma is not a universal law. It is a simplified version of the more accurate and comprehensive law of motion, known as Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. Does F=ma apply to all types of motion?

Yes, F=ma applies to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. It is a fundamental law of classical mechanics that explains the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

3. Can F=ma be used to calculate the force on an object?

Yes, F=ma can be rearranged to calculate the force on an object by using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is commonly used in physics problems to determine the force needed to accelerate an object to a certain speed or to overcome a given mass.

4. Is F=ma always true?

In most cases, F=ma is a valid and accurate representation of the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. However, there are certain situations, such as at the quantum level or at speeds approaching the speed of light, where this equation may not accurately describe the motion of objects.

5. Can F=ma be used for both stationary and moving objects?

Yes, F=ma can be used for both stationary and moving objects. However, for stationary objects, the acceleration is equal to 0, and the equation reduces to F=0, meaning there is no net force acting on the object.