F : N -> N defined by f(x) = x^3 - 1

• Thread starter dally165
  • Start date
Maybe you meant f(x) = (3x - 1)/(x - 3)?In summary, we have three functions: f, g, and h, that are defined on different domains and have different rules for mapping inputs to outputs. We are asked to determine which functions are one-to-one and bijections, as well as find the inverse function for those that are bijections. In addition, we are given a specific function, f(x) = (3x - 1)/(x - 3), and are asked to find the domain and codomain that will make it bijective, as well as find its inverse function.
dally165
f : N --> N defined by f(x) = x^3 - 1

Hi all, I need answers and EXPLANATION to the following problems: (Please Help!)

(i) f : N --> N defined by f(x) = x^3 - 1
(ii) g : Z --> Z defined by g(x) = 2x + 1
(iii) h : R --> R defined by h(x) = x(x + 3)(x - 3)

(***note that N,Z,R stands for natural #, Integer, and Real # respectively..)

(a) Which of the functions are one-to-one?(b) Which of the functions are bijections?(c) For those that are bijections find the inverse function.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the other one:

The function f : R --> R defined by f(x) = (3x - 1)/(x - 3) is not bijective however by suitably restricting the domain and codomain the function can be made to be bijective.

(a)State the domain and codomain that will make the function bijective.

What's a domain? codomain?

(b) Find the inverse of the bijective function.

(I can still remember a bit of inverse function.. i think.. well ill give it a try anyway)

f(x) = (3x - 1)/x - 3)
x = (3y - 1)/y - 3) "replace x with y"
x(y - 3) = 1(3y - 1)) "Cross multiplication"
xy - 3x[i/] = 3y - 1 "Will minus both sides with 3y"
xy - 3x - 3y = -1 "Will add both sides with 3x"
xy - 3y = -1 + 3x
y(x - 3) = -1 + 3x "Factor out y"
y = (-1 + 3x)/(x - 3) "Divide both sides with (x - 3)"

Is that correct??

Physics news on Phys.org

This site is not an answer service! We will be happy to help you work through the problem, but this requires you to show what you've done on the problem so far (even if it's just pondering what you can do, or what needs to be done).

I think you stated something incorrectly as well -- the expression you wrote as a definition for f doesn't define a function from R to R.

1. What is the domain and range of the function f(x)?

The domain of the function f(x) is the set of all natural numbers, denoted by N. The range is also the set of natural numbers, as the function outputs a natural number for every natural number input.

2. How is the function f(x) defined?

The function f(x) is defined as f(x) = x^3 - 1, where x is a natural number. This means that for every natural number input, the function will cube the number and then subtract 1.

3. What is the value of f(0)?

The value of f(0) is -1. When 0 is plugged into the function f(x) = x^3 - 1, it becomes f(0) = 0^3 - 1 = 0 - 1 = -1.

4. Is the function f(x) one-to-one?

Yes, the function f(x) is one-to-one. This means that for every input, there is a unique output. In other words, no two different inputs will result in the same output.

5. How does the graph of f(x) look like?

The graph of f(x) is a cubic function, which means it has a curved line that continuously increases or decreases. In this case, the curve will have an x-intercept at x=1 and will pass through the point (0,-1). The graph will also extend towards positive and negative infinity in both the x and y directions.