Facebook's question regarding a sum

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discussed two approaches to prove the summation of a series involving fractions. The first approach involved inspecting partial sums, while the second approach used telescoping series. Both approaches ultimately led to the conclusion that the summation is equal to n/(n+1). The conversation also mentioned the use of partial fraction decomposition and induction to fully complete the proof.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
I asked the following question on facebook

Prove that

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+\frac{1}{3\cdot 4} \, \cdot\cdot \cdot \,+ \frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}
\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Prove that

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+\frac{1}{3\cdot 4} \, \cdot\cdot \cdot \,+ \frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}
\)
1- By inspection through partial sums

We know that the sum can be written as

\(\displaystyle \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k(k+1)}\)

Let \(\displaystyle S_{n}=\sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k(k+1)}\)

\(\displaystyle S_1 = \frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle S_2=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6}=\frac{2}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle S_3=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{12}=\frac{3}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle S_4=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{12}+\frac{1}{20}=\frac{4}{5}\)

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{1}{1\cdot 2}+\frac{1}{2\cdot 3}+\frac{1}{3\cdot 4} \, \cdot\cdot \cdot \,+ \frac{1}{n(n+1)}=\frac{n}{n+1}\)

2- The second approach is using telescoping series

\(\displaystyle \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k(k+1)}=\sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+1}\)

\(\displaystyle \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+1}=\left( 1 - \frac{1}{2} \right) +\left( \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3} \right) +\left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{1}{4} \right)+\cdot \cdot \cdot + \left(\frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1} \right)\)

Cancelling out the terms we reach to

\(\displaystyle \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}-\frac{1}{k+1}= 1 -\frac{1}{n+1} =\frac{n}{n+1}\)

Very nice!

Your second approach is what I would use, partial fraction decomposition on the summand and then observing the result is a telescopic series.

In the first approach, I would require a student to then complete the hypothesis via induction.(Happy)

Related to Facebook's question regarding a sum

1. What is Facebook's question regarding a sum?

Facebook's question regarding a sum is a mathematical problem posed by the social media platform to its users in order to verify their identity and prevent automated spam accounts. The question typically involves adding or subtracting two randomly generated numbers.

2. Why does Facebook ask for a sum?

Facebook asks for a sum in order to verify that the user attempting to create an account is a real person and not a bot or automated program. By asking for a sum, it ensures that the user is able to solve basic mathematical problems and is not a malicious entity.

3. Can I skip the sum question on Facebook?

No, the sum question is a mandatory step in the account creation process on Facebook. Skipping the question will result in the user being unable to create an account.

4. How do I solve the sum question on Facebook?

The sum question on Facebook is typically a simple addition or subtraction problem. To solve it, simply add or subtract the two numbers provided and enter the answer into the designated field. Make sure to double check your answer before submitting.

5. What happens if I get the sum question wrong on Facebook?

If you get the sum question wrong on Facebook, you will be prompted to try again. If you continue to get the question wrong, you may be temporarily locked out of your account or asked to complete additional security measures to verify your identity.