Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Facial 3D imaging to detect autism

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I (the Royal I, that is to say: my wife) have heard about this new technique wherein they are using 3D imaging of facial planes to detect and diagnose autism. am particularly interested in what features they are examining and what identifying differences they are interested in.

I've been looking around, but keep finding red herrings (imaging of cortex convolutions as opposed to facial, or imaging to diagnose other diseases such as Down's). I also find articles that don't go into details.

Anyone got any leads?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2
    There are no autism endophenotypes that can be detected that way. Even if there were, and you could be convinced that your child has autism before the age at which it would normally manifest... Then what could you do about it? All the treatment programs that exist are targeted to older children.

You certainly cannot diagnose autism in this way. The diagnostic criteria are listed in the DSM-IV. These are all behavioral criteria.

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am not making this up. It is a current area of research, I just want details.

5. Apr 24, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm wondering if it's imaging of the autistic person's face, or more likely that they are using 3D images of other faces to determine how someone responds to/interprets facial expression to help diagnose them, or to teach them to emulate appropriate facial expressions as part of their treatment/therapy?

6. Apr 24, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, but this is one of the red herrings I keep encountering.

My wife is specific that they are examining the planes of the face - the asymmetries - as a precursive indicator for autism.

(She is currently researching with her boss about body dismorphology in relation to fertility.)

"The researchers are using 3D imaging to reveal correlations in the facial features and brain structures of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD)."

"... doctors use tape measurements to check for facial and brain dissimilarities. We are developing a quantitative method that will accurately measure these differences..."

"... performing a quick, non-invasive scan of each child's face and brain..."

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/health/researchers-work-on-early-autism-detection-formula-$1237049.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Apr 24, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using the keywords facial asymmetry autism in PubMed gets one result that might be what you mean:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

8. Apr 24, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. Apr 24, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She might have just picked the wrong keywords. My first attempt used "symmetry" instead of "asymmetry" because I had to think twice how to spell "asymmetry." :uhh: That came up with zero results.

Or, you're annoying her for some reason today and she thought she needed to keep you occupied. :biggrin: If it's the latter, don't tell her I helped.

10. Apr 24, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I really must discourage you two from spending so much time together...
    :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook