1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor of safety/principal stress

1. Nov 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After the shaft is manufactured you are informed by the client that the shaft is subjected to an additional thrust force of 5000N. Provide a revised factor of safety for the client.

Found the previous factor of safety to equal 2
    Shear stress τ = 250MPa
    Diameter = 36mm

2. Relevant equations

Principal stress formula: σ1,σ2= 0.5(σy+σx) +/- 0.5 x ( sqrt{(σy - σx)^2 + 4τ^2} )

3. The attempt at a solution

σx i assume is 5000N which has to be converted into MPa so ive divided the force by the area .... 5000/ ∏x (18/1000)^2 = 4.9MPa ( i dont know if ive done that conversion correctly for starters)

τxy i'm assuming moves in a clockwise direction so its positive = 250MPa

gonna assume σy = 0 as it doesnt give us any value for that.

Already its starting to look a bit strange, i'd of assumed σx would be larger than τxy but i plugged it into the formula anyway to see what i'd get 252Mpa for σ1

I got to this point and got stuck, the values are most likely wrong but i think the steps are along the right lines, but how do you get a revised factor of safety from this?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2012 #2
    Found the previous factor of safety to equal 2
    Shear stress tau_xy = 250MPa

I assume some calcs were done to get these values...

Principal stress formula: σ1,σ2= 0.5(σy+σx) +/- 0.5 x ( sqrt{(σy - σx)^2 + 4τ^2} )
    This value is an estimate for peak stresses and is a more conservative approach.
    From my experience it is better to use the maximum distortion energy theory:
    σ_1,σ_2 = ((σ_x-σ_y)⁄2)±sqrt(((σ_x-σ_y)⁄2)^2+τ_xy^2 )
    this gives you a better approximation of the Von Mises stresses present.

You don't have to convert the force you simply calculate the stress associated with this force on a specific area. You're calculation is however correct.

σ_x=F/A. This however is just the addisional stress. Is this the only axial stress working in on the shaft?

What material is the shaft made of? I am in quite a hurry, having a meeting in 5 minutes. Will help you further tomorrow, but you have a fairly good idea...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook