1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factor principal ideals in a field with class number 2

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let K be a number field. Let a be an irreducible element of K. Prove that if <a>(the ideal generated by a) is not a prime ideal, then it is a product of two prime ideals.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm actually quite clueless...:frown: I have been thinking maybe it is possible for me to obtain some information about the extension K:Q from the condition that the class number is 2, like the degree of the extension, etc..?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The class number of K and the degree of the extension K/Q have nothing to do with each other. (There are quadratic extensions of Q with arbitrarily large class number.)

In your problem I assume by an "irreducible element of K" you really mean an irreducible element in the ring of integers of K. Anyway, just start with what you're given: (a) is not prime, so it factors into a product of prime ideals. Some of these will be principal, some not. Try to use the fact that the class group is Z/2Z to simplify your factorization.

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply!
    Yes. This is what I meant.
    Could they really be principal? Would that imply that a has a proper factor, which is a contradiction?

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good! Can you use this observation to finish off the solution?

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5
    Figured it out! Finally can take a break after 8 hours in the library. :approve:

Thanks so much. :biggrin:

7. Apr 14, 2012 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook