Factor to increase Earth's rotation speed for equatorial centripetal acceleration of g

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
2,394
Reaction score
4
The book is asking me to find...

c) by what factor would the speed of the Earth's rotation have to increase for a body on the equator to require a centripetal acceleration of g to keep it on the earth?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find where centripetal acceleration = g. so a=w^2 * r. where w is angular velosity and r is radius of earth. make g=w^2*r, solve for w. then see that the ratio of w is to the actual angular velosity of earth. What is actually happening at this point is the Earth ( and therefore you) is spinning just fast enough to make you feel weightless. You will be orbiting the Earth right on its surface, pretty cool,huh?
 
Last edited:
Thanks.

That's what I thought. It is worth marks, so I had to make sure I had it.