1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much could the Earth's rotation speed up?

1. Jan 20, 2016 #1
    I've noticed there are a lot of documentaries and youtube videos about what would happen if the Earth stopped spinning.

However, I would like to know what would happen if the Earth kept speeding up, what would happen if it did, and the approximate maximum rotational velocity before the Earth broke apart or something. I imagine it would be fairly difficult to calculate the speed because it entirely depends on the material composition of the Earth's layers and a massive dynamics calculation as well as fluid analysis, etc. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Did you search on your question? I found several articles that talk about what might happen.

Before the Earth breaks apart, there would be a host of lesser catastrophes like shortened days, shortened sleep periods, more violent weather, changing ocean depths and tides...

Is this a homework question?

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Note that a planet doesn't take to tension forces very well, so the limit (not considering a host of other factors like deformation) would be a rotation rate that results in a centripetal acceleration equal to g. You can Google for the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook