Factoring a number with Euler's constant involved?

In summary, the function f(x) = 4e^(-x) - e^(x) has a derivative of -4e^-x - e^x and the maximum value is found when x = 0.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

Determine the maximum value of the function f(x) = 4e^(-x) - e^(x)

Homework Equations

dasfgd

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I first found the derivative of the function and it turned out to be f`(x) = -4e^-x - e^x
2. I believe that to find the maximum value of this function, you need to find out values of x that would equal to 0. (Critical numbers)
Then after finding these crit numbers, you can judge by looking at them and see which value returns to be the highest.
My problem is i do not know how to factor this expression with euler's constant involved. Can anyone help? (I think you can factor e out, but then i don't get a smooth expression or any critical numbers.)

Edit: I just realized i wrote in the title to be number, but i meant expression.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: iam not sure if this is the way to determine global extrema, so if otherwise someone please explain

Last edited:
Factor an ##e## out? Were you given any particular interval for ##x##? Looks to me like you are going to have trouble getting that derivative to equal zero.

Yes that is what I am trying to factor.
Say the interval was (-1 < x < 2)

How would you go about the problem given the interval?

Edit : Sorry I meant to say that I tried factoring the e out but since the exponents wasn't the same i wasn't sure if i was correct. Can you factor -e^-x out?

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Yes that is what I am trying to factor.
Say the interval was (-1 < x < 2)

How would you go about the problem given the interval?

Edit : Sorry I meant to say that I tried factoring the e out but since the exponents wasn't the same i wasn't sure if i was correct. Can you factor -e^-x out?

You should write out what expression you are talking about. I guess it is the ##f'(x)=-4e^{-x}-e^x##. If you remember that ##e^{-x}=\frac 1 {e^x}##, what do you think about your factoring? Here are some other things to think about:
1. Do you think ##f'(x)=0## is possible?
2. What theorems do you know about extrema on finite intervals?
3. Does it matter if the interval is ##-1<x<2## versus ##-1\le x \le 2##?

just sub in -1 in the original function then?

i don't need to do anything else i believe

You need to answer my questions if we are going to carry on a conversation.

1. What is Euler's constant and why is it important in factoring numbers?

Euler's constant, denoted by the letter e, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is important in factoring numbers because it is closely related to the natural logarithm function, and can be used to simplify complex equations and solve mathematical problems.

2. How does Euler's constant help in finding the prime factors of a number?

Euler's constant can be used in conjunction with the Prime Factorization Theorem to factor a number into its prime factors. This is because e is related to the prime counting function, which helps determine the number of prime factors a number has.

3. Can Euler's constant be used to factor composite numbers?

Yes, Euler's constant can be used to factor composite numbers by first breaking the number down into its prime factors, and then using e to find the prime factors of each individual factor. This method is especially useful for factoring large composite numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to using Euler's constant in factoring numbers?

While Euler's constant is a powerful tool in factoring numbers, it does have its limitations. It is primarily used for factoring numbers with a large number of factors, and may not be as efficient for factoring smaller numbers.

5. Is Euler's constant the only method for factoring numbers?

No, there are other methods for factoring numbers such as trial division, the quadratic sieve algorithm, and the Pollard's p-1 algorithm. Euler's constant is just one of many tools that can be used to factor numbers, and its usefulness will depend on the specific number being factored.