Finding 1/n + 1/(n+1) + + 1/2n in terms of the Euler's constant

In summary, the problem asks for the limit of the sum 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n expressed in terms of the Euler's constant (0.577...). By using the subsequence concept, we can split the limit into two parts and use the known limit of the sequence x_n = 1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n - In(n). However, caution must be taken as both expressions diverge. By adding and subtracting ln(n), we can rearrange the expression and obtain the limit of the blue part, which is equal to In(2). Therefore, the limit of 1/n + 1/(n+
lkh1986

Homework Statement

By using the Euler's constant (0.577...), express the limit of the sum 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n explicitly as n goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

The limit as n goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n - In (n)] is the Euler constant, 0.577...

It has been deduced and shown previously that the limit of the sum 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n is between 0.5 and 1. And the value lies somewhere around 0.6-0.75.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the word "explicitly" in the question means that we need to express the answer in terms of the Euler's constant.

limit as n goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n - In (n)] = 0.577...

Let a (subscript k) = 1/k + 1/(k+1) + ... + 1/2k and k<n

limit as k goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ...1/(k-1) + 1/k + 1/(k+1)+...+1/2k +1/(2k+1) ... 1/n - In (n)] = 0.577...

limit as k goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ...1/(k-1) + a(subscript k) + 1/(2k+1) ... 1/n - In (n)] = 0.577...

limit as k goes to infinity for [a(subscript k)] = 0.577... - limit as k goes to infinity [1/1 + 1/2 + ...1/(k-1)] - limit as k goes to infinity [(1/(2k+1) + ... + 1/n] + limit as k goes to infinity [In(n)]

Then I don't know how to continue. Perhaps I need to define other variables? It seems that k and n are a bit confusing...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lkh1986 said:

Homework Statement

By using the Euler's constant (0.577...), express the limit of the sum 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n explicitly as n goes to infinity.

Homework Equations

The limit as n goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n - In (n)] is the Euler constant, 0.577...

It has been deduced and shown previously that the limit of the sum 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n is between 0.5 and 1. And the value lies somewhere around 0.6-0.75.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the word "explicitly" in the question means that we need to express the answer in terms of the Euler's constant.

limit as n goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/n - In (n)] = 0.577...

Let a (subscript k) = 1/k + 1/(k+1) + ... + 1/2k and k<n

limit as k goes to infinity for [1/1 + 1/2 + ...1/(k-1) + 1/k + 1/(k+1)+...+1/2k +1/(2k+1) ... 1/n - In (n)] = 0.577...

This is wrong! What is n in your expression? Is n related somehow to k?

------------------------------

Ok, here's how I would tackle the problem. Let's denote the Euler Constant to be [tex]\gamma[/tex].

Let [tex]x_n = \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} - \ln(n)[/tex]

We know that:

[tex]\gamma = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} - \ln (n) \right)[/tex]

Since the limit of the sequence xn exists, all of its sub-sequences should have the same limit, too, right? Now consider the sub-sequence x2n

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} - \ln (2n) \right) = \gamma[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left[ {\color{red}\left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} \right)} + {\color{blue}\left( \frac{1}{n + 1} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} \right)} - \ln (2n) \right] = \gamma[/tex]

You want to find the limit of the blue part, right?

Now, look at the red one, do you realize anything? Does it look "nearly" the same as something that you've already known? What can you do to make use of the Euler's Constant?

Well, let's see if you can find a way to continue. :)

Oh, the subsequence concept, yup. That's useful.

So, gamma = [lim as n goes to infinity (1/1+1/2+...+1/n)] + [lim as n goes to infinity (1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n)] - [lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n))]

Gamma = Gamma + lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n)) +[lim as n goes to infinity (1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n)] - [lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n))]

Canceling gamma at both sides, we have:
[lim as n goes to infinity (1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n)] = [lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n))] - lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n))

[lim as n goes to infinity (1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n)] = lim as n goes to infinity [In (2n/n)] = lim as n goes to infinity In (2) = In(2) = 0.693...

I used my Texas Instrument to calculate the value. When n = 71, the value obtained is 0.703723..., which is very close to In(2), so I believe In 2 is the correct answer?

Thanks for the help. ;)

Well, you're very close to correct.. :rolleyes:

Remember that, you can only break the limit of 2 sums into the sum of 2 limit, when both of the 2 limits exist:

[tex]\lim (x_n + y_n) = \lim x_n + \lim y_n[/tex] only holds if the limits of both sequences xn, and yn exist.

lkh1986 said:
Oh, the subsequence concept, yup. That's useful.

So, gamma = [lim as n goes to infinity (1/1+1/2+...+1/n)] + [lim as n goes to infinity (1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n)] - [lim as n goes to infinity (In (2n))]

Both expressions diverge, so you cannot split it like that. try this instead:

[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left[ {\color{red}\left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} -\ln (n) \right)} + \left( {\color{blue}\left( \frac{1}{n + 1} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} \right)} - \ln (2n) + \ln(n) \right) \right] = \gamma[/tex]

Hm, everything looks good, but I think In 2 is the limit of 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n. The question asks for 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n, so the 1/n term is missing there. ;( But In 2 is correct I think.

lkh1986 said:
Hm, everything looks good, but I think In 2 is the limit of 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n. The question asks for 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n, so the 1/n term is missing there. ;( But In 2 is correct I think.

You can modify it a little bit. It's still the same. How about, putting the term 1/n into the blue parentheses, and modifying the ln(...) terms a little bit? :)

VietDao29 said:
try this instead:

[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left[ {\color{red}\left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n} -\ln (n) \right)} + \left( {\color{blue}\left( \frac{1}{n + 1} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} \right)} - \ln (2n) + \ln(n) \right) \right] = \gamma[/tex]

Even better, try this instead:
[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left[ {\color{red}\left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n-1} -\ln (n-1) \right)} + \left( {\color{blue}\left( \frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{n + 1} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} \right)} - \ln (2n) + \ln(n-1) \right) \right] = \gamma[/tex]

D H said:
Even better, try this instead:
[tex]\Rightarrow \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} x_{2n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left[ {\color{red}\left( \frac{1}{1} + \frac{1}{2} + ... + \frac{1}{n-1} -\ln (n-1) \right)} + \left( {\color{blue}\left( \frac{1}{n} + \frac{1}{n + 1} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} \right)} - \ln (2n) + \ln(n-1) \right) \right] = \gamma[/tex]

Yay, this is great.
So, lim [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/(n-1) - In(n-1)] = gamma

So the equation can be reduced to lim (1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/(2n)) = lim In[2n/(n-1)] = lim In 2 = In 2. Is this correct?

Thanks both of you for the help. ;)

lkh1986 said:
Yay, this is great.
So, lim [1/1 + 1/2 + ... + 1/(n-1) - In(n-1)] = gamma

So the equation can be reduced to lim (1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/(2n)) = lim In[2n/(n-1)] = lim In 2 = In 2. Is this correct?

Thanks both of you for the help. ;)

Looks fine to me. :)

I am so happy to finally solve the problem. ;) Thanks again and have a nice day!

1. What is the formula for finding 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n in terms of Euler's constant?

The formula for finding 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n in terms of Euler's constant is:
1/2 * (ln(2n+1) + 0.5772156649)

2. What is the significance of Euler's constant in this formula?

Euler's constant, denoted by the symbol γ, is a mathematical constant that appears in many mathematical formulas and calculations, particularly in number theory and calculus. In the formula for finding 1/n + 1/(n+1) + ... + 1/2n, it is used to approximate the sum of the harmonic series, which is the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integers.

3. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived using the integral test for convergence of infinite series. By taking the integral of 1/x from 1 to n, we get ln(n), which is then approximated by the Euler-Mascheroni constant, γ, to get the final formula.

4. Can this formula be used for any value of n?

Yes, this formula can be used for any positive integer value of n. However, it becomes less accurate as n increases, as it is only an approximation for the harmonic series.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this formula?

Yes, this formula has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to approximate the sum of infinite series in various calculations and simulations, making it a valuable tool for scientists and researchers.