Factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers

In summary, the roots of x2+2x+5 can be found using synthetic division. The complex number solution is (x+1)(x-2i)(x+2i).
alpha01
x3+4x2+9x+10

finding 1 root and using synthetic division we can factorize to:

(x+2)(x2+2x+5)

using complex numbers to factorize (x2+2x+5) we have (x+1)(x-2i)(x+2i), and so our final solution is:

(x+2)(x+1)(x-2i)(x+2i)

is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alpha01 said:
x3+4x2+9x+10

finding 1 root and using synthetic division can can factorize to:

(x+2)(x2+2x+5)
So far, so good.
alpha01 said:
using complex numbers to factorize (x2+2x+5) we have (x+1)(x-2i)(x+2i), and so our final solution is:

(x+2)(x+1)(x-2i)(x+2i)

is this correct?
It should be obvious that x^2 + 2x + 5 doesn't factor to (x + 1)(x - 2i)(x + 2i). In any case, this is not a calculus question.

i jus started in complex numbers today and that's what i came up with.. if someone could please move the thread to the correct place that would be appreciated..

Mark44, Can you please advise how i should go about finding the solution to that part of the question?

For x2+2x+5, how would you find the roots? If they aren't rational, is there a formula you can use?

rock.freak667 said:
For x2+2x+5, how would you find the roots? If they aren't rational, is there a formula you can use?

there is an example in my notes where the quadratic equation has been used for polynomials with no real solutions. Using the same principal here we have:

x = (-2 +- sqrt(-16)) / 2

now, the square root of 16 is 4 so we have

x = (-2 +- 4i)/2
= -1 +- 2i

and that's how i got my roots.

is this not correct?

(post corrected)
all the roots you got are correct but the way you reconstructed the polynomial is not:
it should be

f(x)= (x+2)( x-(-1+2i) )( x-(-1-2i) ) (post was initially incorrect, but is now correct)

notice that x only appears 3 times, which is the same as the degree of the polynomial, this will always be true

lemme know if you have any other questions :smile:

Last edited:
thank you logicalTime. It makes perfect sense now.

actually.. i just noticed something when i actually went back and wrote it... shouldn't it really be (x+(1-2i))(x+(1+2i))? because x = - 1 is x + 1 = 0 for both solutions so the only thing that should change in the outcomes is the sign in front of the 2i

why does one of the factors in your solution have x - 1?

(post corrected)
whoops, I messed up since the roots are -2, -1-2i, -1+2i then reconstructing the polynomial is:

f(x)= (x+2)(x-(-1-2i))(x-(-1+2i))

so when you plug in a root, one of the terms becomes zero making the whole thing equal to zero

should be correct now, sry bout that

Last edited:
actually i have x=-1 so should be (x+(1-2i))(x+(1+2i))... not (x-(1-2i))(x-(1+2i))

Last edited:
agh, it's late and I'm being sloppy, time for bed
I corrected my previous mistakes they are a little different format from yours, just because I like to make it obvious that plugging in the root leads to zero.

What is factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers?

Factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers is a process of breaking down a polynomial expression into simpler factors, where the factors are complex numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part, and are often represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

Why would you need to factorize a polynomial using complex numbers?

Factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers can help us solve equations that involve complex numbers, as well as simplify complex expressions. It is also used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and calculus.

What are the steps for factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers?

The steps for factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers are as follows:
1. Find the roots of the polynomial by setting it equal to 0.
2. Use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots, if the polynomial is a quadratic.
3. Write the polynomial as a product of its factors, where the factors are the roots found in step 2.
4. If the polynomial has any remaining factors, continue to factorize them using the same process.

Can any polynomial be factorized using complex numbers?

Yes, any polynomial can be factorized using complex numbers. However, it is important to note that not all polynomials will have real solutions when factored using complex numbers. Some may have purely imaginary solutions.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for factorizing a polynomial using complex numbers. However, it is helpful to have a good understanding of complex numbers and their properties, as well as knowledge of polynomial equations and their solutions. Practice and familiarity with the process can also make it easier and quicker to factorize polynomials using complex numbers.