Find roots of cubic polynomial with complex coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the roots of a complex polynomial using various methods, including separating terms and using Cardano's formula. The final solution is found by guessing one root and using the quadratic formula for the remaining polynomial.
BearY

Homework Statement

Find roots of
$$
-\lambda ^3 +(2+2i)\lambda^2-3i\lambda-(1-i) = 0
$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried my old trick
I tried to separating the 4 terms into 2 pairs and try to find a common factor in the form of ##\lambda + z## between them,
$$
-\lambda ^2 (\lambda -2-2i) - 3i\lambda -1+i
$$
It doesn't seem to work.
$$
-\lambda (\lambda^2 +3i) - (2+2i)\lambda -1+i
$$
Nope.
And I am out of tricks.
Should I keep trying to factorize it or there is something else I should do about polynomial with complex coefficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
BearY said:

Homework Statement

Find roots of
$$
-\lambda ^3 +(2+2i)\lambda^2-3i\lambda-(1-i) = 0
$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried my old trick
I tried to separating the 4 terms into 2 pairs and try to find a common factor in the form of ##\lambda + z## between them,
$$
-\lambda ^2 (\lambda -2-2i) - 3i\lambda -1+i
$$
It doesn't seem to work.
$$
-\lambda (\lambda^2 +3i) - (2+2i)\lambda -1+i
$$
Nope.
And I am out of tricks.
Should I keep trying to factorize it or there is something else I should do about polynomial with complex coefficient?

You can use Cardano's formula for the solution of a cubic. It works for any coefficients, not just for real ones.

Likes BearY
The roots are ##1,~i,~1+i##.

Likes BearY
The shortest way is usually to guess one root, divide the polynomial by the corresponding linear factor and solve the quadratic rest polynomial. That ##1## is a root helps a lot.

Likes BearY

1. How do you find the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients?

To find the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients, you can use the cubic formula or the method of synthetic division. The cubic formula is a general formula that can be used for any cubic polynomial, while the method of synthetic division is a more specific method that can only be used for specific types of cubic polynomials.

2. What is the cubic formula and how does it work?

The cubic formula, also known as the Cardano formula, is a general formula for finding the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients. It involves using the coefficients of the polynomial to calculate three complex roots. The formula is quite complex and involves several steps, so it is often easier to use a calculator or computer program to solve it.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients?

Yes, for example, let's say we have the cubic polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 7 with complex coefficients. Using the cubic formula, we can calculate the three complex roots to be -0.467+1.087i, -0.467-1.087i, and -2.066. These roots can also be verified by plugging them back into the polynomial and seeing if they make the equation true.

4. What is the method of synthetic division and how does it work?

The method of synthetic division is a specific method for finding the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients. It involves dividing the polynomial by a potential root, which is usually a factor of the constant term. If the remainder of the division is zero, then the potential root is a root of the polynomial. This process is repeated until all three roots are found.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients?

Yes, there are other methods such as the graphing method, the Newton-Raphson method, and the Bairstow's method. However, these methods may not always be effective for finding all three roots, especially if the polynomial has complex coefficients. It is generally recommended to use the cubic formula or the method of synthetic division for finding the roots of a cubic polynomial with complex coefficients.