Failed My Comp Exams: Advice & Encouragement

• Testing
  • Thread starter SquareBack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, Oli failed his written comprehensive exams and is devastated, ashamed, and embarrassed. He doesn't know how to manage this current academic year and is looking for advice. Some passed at the doctoral level, some (like myself) passed at the Masters level, and some failed altogether. Oli's suggestion is to get back to work, find out what you did wrong and focus 50% of your studies in those areas, and the other 50% on refreshing yourself with the other courses. If formulas are what you tend to forget, memorize them and write them down first thing when you start the test or on the cheat sheet. Lastly, the race is still on and you will succeed.
SquareBack
I found out today that I failed my written comprehensive exams. I'm devastated, ashamed, and embarrassed. I don't even want to show up on campus tomorrow, let alone see my research advisor or anyone on the comps committee.

Our Ph.D program allows two attempts, so I can take the exam again in a year, but I don't know how to manage this current academic year. I thought I was going to get started on research, but now I have to fit in studying for the comps.

Anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? Has anyone here ever failed such an important test?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SquareBack, I'm really sad for you and I hope you will put it up together and fight back.
My advice, for what it's worth (not much), would be to first analyse and make sure you understand what went wrong in your exams.
Everybody missteps at some point, but failure is ultimately failure to learn from the mistakes/missteps
So try not to think about you having failed at exams like you (how you are perceived) are (is) what matters most.
What matters most if you are on a PhD program is what you carve for: you want to understand as deeply as possible what happens around you, and, apparently, there is something important you were missing, so take this opportunity to fix it and go ahead on a strengthened basis

How did the others who took the exam make out? Do you know what the overall failure rate was?

Some passed at the doctoral level, some (like myself) passed at the Masters level, and some failed altogether.

oli4 said:
Hi SquareBack, I'm really sad for you and I hope you will put it up together and fight back.
My advice, for what it's worth (not much), would be to first analyse and make sure you understand what went wrong in your exams.
Everybody missteps at some point, but failure is ultimately failure to learn from the mistakes/missteps
So try not to think about you having failed at exams like you (how you are perceived) are (is) what matters most.
What matters most if you are on a PhD program is what you carve for: you want to understand as deeply as possible what happens around you, and, apparently, there is something important you were missing, so take this opportunity to fix it and go ahead on a strengthened basis

Oli, frankly, I believe my nearly debilitating test anxiety did me in. I don't think it was a lack of preparation. I just can't stay calm and focused when I take exams.

i know the pain, it happened to me when going for my masters in CS. I wasn't allowed to take orals and when I asked why was told the commitee decided who could take them. Later I learned the commitee was really one prof the dept chairman who was mad that I had made the case and transferred in 3 grad courses from another school earlier in the year meaning I only needed 2 more courses to get my degree (I had 4 prior with experience).

My adjunct prof told me that that would be enough to deny me the right to orals and that they has an unwritten rule to flunk a certain % of students. It gives the school a certain level of academic rigor to do that and I guess I was the patsy. Also I was a parttime student fulltime programmer and that was held against me too as the student view was I had lots of time to do my homework at work.

Long story short was I took the exam again six months later answering question on courses I never took and passed with flying colors (actually I never knew what I got wrong only that I passed).

My suggestion is to get back to work, find out what you did wrong and focus 50% of your studies in those areas, and the other 50% on refreshing yourself with the other courses. Its critical that you find out what you did wrong and maybe find a mentor who can help you past that. Also when studying pretend like you're going to be teaching the course to someone, so you must have the answers and must anticipate the questions. When taking the test think again like a teacher and explain the problem to the tester in writing.

Lastly, if its formulas that you tend to forget then memorize them and write them down first thing when you start the test or on the cheat sheet is they allow one page of notes per course for the test. You could check with your friends to get their sheets as well and see if you've forgotten anything.

Remember this test is not the end of the road, the race is still on and you will succeed but you must train and imagine yourself as a successful physicist in a few months.

I see, well if you have anxiety issues that are to the point of being a handicap, there is medication for it<br/>
When I was eleven, or maybe twelve, I was quite troubled myself, though it wasn't a problem for exams, I was not sleeping at night, things like that.
So we saw a psychologist who had me take medications during that year and it worked like a charm.
Trouble is, it was a disaster for my grades as I basically stopped caring about anything and wasn't paying attention at school anymore, not doing homework etc.
So, I don't know, maybe you can find something 'in the middle' that let you relax, but not too much :)

1. Why did I fail my comp exams?

There could be a variety of reasons for failing your comp exams. It could be due to inadequate preparation, not fully understanding the material, or test anxiety. It is important to reflect on your study habits and identify any areas that may need improvement.

2. What should I do if I failed my comp exams?

If you failed your comp exams, it is important to stay calm and not get discouraged. Take some time to reflect on what went wrong and how you can improve for your next attempt. Seek advice from your professors or academic advisors for tips on how to prepare and study effectively.

3. Will failing my comp exams affect my academic career?

Failing your comp exams will not necessarily ruin your academic career, but it may delay your progress. You may need to retake the exams or take additional courses to fulfill the requirements. However, it is important to not let this setback define your academic journey.

4. How can I stay motivated after failing my comp exams?

Failing comp exams can be disheartening, but it is important to not lose sight of your academic goals. Focus on your strengths and use this experience as a learning opportunity. Seek support from your peers, family, and mentors to help you stay motivated and on track.

5. What are some tips for passing comp exams?

To increase your chances of passing your comp exams, it is important to start studying early and consistently. Create a study schedule and stick to it. Seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Also, make sure to take care of your physical and mental well-being by getting enough rest and managing stress levels.