Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fall Schedule 2010. Opinions and thoughts?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Hi, guys. This is my schedule for the coming up fall.

Appl Differential Equations I
    Intro to Number Theory
    Foundations of Math
    Advanced Calculus I

I know it will be challenging. Do you think I should take all these classes at once or should I drop the Advanced Calculus I? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    Is Advanced Calculus I a sort of introduction to analysis? And what is foundations of math?

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Here's a description of each class:

MA 238 Applied Differential Equations I 3 credits
    First order differential equations. Higher order linear differential equations. Systems of first order linear differential equations. Laplace Transforms. Methods for approximating solutions to first order differential equations. Applications. Students should have taken or be taking MA 227. Core Course.

MA 311 Introduction to Number Theory 3 credits
    An introduction to classical number theory with a balance between theory and computation. Topics include mathematical induction, divisibility properties, properties of prime numbers, the theory of congruences, number theoretic functions, continued fractions

MA 320 Foundations of Mathematics (W) 3 credits
    The students will develop facility with proofs through the study of logic and proof techniques as applied to various areas of mathematics. Topics include symbolic logic, proof techniques, relations, functions, and the structure of the number system.

MA 334 Advanced Calculus I 3 credits
    This is the first of a two course sequence designed to provide students with the theoretical context of concepts encountered in MA 125 through MA 227. Topics covered include Completeness Axiom, sequences of real numbers, suprema and infima, Cauchy sequences, open sets and accumulation points in Euclidean space, completeness of Euclidean space, series of real numbers and vectors, compactness, Heine-Borel Theorem, connectedness, continuity, Extremum Theorem, Intermediate Value Theorem, differentiation of functions of one variable.

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4
    So basically MA 320 is an introduction to higher math - an introduction to proofs. Usually this type of class gives people trouble, much less taking it with an intro. analysis course and a rigorous number theory course. Not to mention, if you haven't had any proof-based classes yet, number theory and adv. calc. will be tough on their own. Your schedule is doable (I had a friend last semester do largely the same thing), but will be challenging. Have you talked with an adviser about it?

6. Apr 29, 2010 #5
    Newtime, thanks for the reply. I have talked to my adviser but it seemed that he doesn't know that much about advising based on our conversation, even if I could called it that. Currently, I'm taking Linear Algebra I and have been introduced to simple proofs. Also I'm planning to get the book, "How to Read and Do Proofs" by Solow in the summer to prepare for the fall classes. But from your experience, should I keep this schedule or change it?

7. Apr 29, 2010 #6
    I wouldn't take an intro to analysis course without first having Intro to Proof. Any decent introduction to analysis class is either going to move incredibly fast, or assume that you have a decent knowledge of proofs.

I guess If you're willing to do a lot of self-study, it may be possible to do, but it may also make you hate the subjects, even though if you had spread them out a little more, you might have actually enjoyed them.

8. May 1, 2010 #7
    I'm going to strongly agree with this. That said, if you're set on doing this schedule, the best thing to do is not read a "how to do proofs" book as a method of self study but actually go through and read your textbooks this summer. Over the course of 3-4 months you should be able to finish the meat of most of them.

9. May 4, 2010 #8
    Thanks guys for the advices. I'm definitely going to take them into consideration before choosing my classes for the fall.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook