Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fastest sailboats in modern times

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    I've been looking at the fastest sailboats in modern times and I've been wondering a few things.
    Why does the front sail have no boom but the back sail does?
    Why do racing boats have these kinds of sails?
    A lateen sail has more area and doesn't require such a tall mast. Wouldn't it be more stable to use these?
    Why are hulls shaped with concave curves when veiwed head on? Wouldn't a rounded convex curve be more hydrodynamic?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    Front sail goes from side to side when the boat changes direction. Front sail with boom cannot cross the mast.

Wind speed is zero at h = 0 and increases with height so that generally the taller the mast, the faster the wind around tha sail.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I understand the third question. The bottom of a big racing sailboat hull is convex shaped, kinda like half a peanut.

Or are you talking about small flat-bottomed one-seaters? Those hulls are planing hulls - they ride above their wake for more speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?