Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Fat location

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    I've heard that "spot training" does not work because fat is lost evenly throughout the body.

However, apparently there are different types of fat reserves,

"Visceral fat, also known as organ fat or intra-abdominal fat, is located inside the peritoneal cavity, packed in between internal organs and torso, as opposed to subcutaneous fat which is found underneath the skin, and intramuscular fat which is found interspersed in skeletal muscle. "

Clearly some people have different ratios of obesity with regard to visceral fat or subcutaneous fat. Naturally it seems that the body must have a slightly different process of creating visceral fat vs subcutaneous fat and I'm curious what the difference is between these processes, and if certain lifestyle changes/diet/habit can be made to affect the loss of visceral vs subcutaneous fat...effectively allowing for "spot training" because visceral fat is located primarily in the abdomen

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure what effect diet has on the location and ratio of different fat types, but I presume that your body composition is more likely to be determined by your genetic makeup and that your genes would probably have the biggest influence.

I don't believe that fat is lost evenly throughout your body; you loose the subcutaneous fat before you lose the fat which pads your organs, and the reverse happens when you gain weight. "Spot training" does not work purely becuase you are burning calories and using up your general subcutaneous fat store, as opposed to the fat store of one particular area.

4. Sep 9, 2009 #3
    no, visceral fat is the first to go. yes, spot training does not work. bodyfat distribution is mostly determined by your hormones.

if you really want to know about bodyfat, go search out Lyle McDonald's forum. he's about the biggest fat nerd out there.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

Xnn

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5
    that's interesting. also in the article:

so it seems that intensity is the key here, which i did not remember.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook