Father pushing child on swing problem

• Thread starter rcw110131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary, the father is pushing the child on the swing with a magnitude equal to mg and a constant force perpendicular to the swing's chain. The father stops pushing when the swing's chain is again vertical.
rcw110131

Homework Statement

A father is about to push his child on the swing. He pulls the swing back by 1 radian, and start pushing the child with a constant force perpendicular to the swing's chain and with a magnitude equal to mg, where m is the mass of the child and the swing seat. The father stops pushing when the swing's chain is again vertical. In the approximation that sinα ≅ α (where α is an angle up to 1 radian), calculate the time the father is pushing. Neglect the weight of swing's chain and the retardation by the air drag.

Homework Equations

Umm, some second order differential equation that I have no clue how to derive?

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to start with this one and I only have like 4 hours to get this done :frown: . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, please do not use "special symbols". I do not have a Font that allows me to see what you have between [itex]sin \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex]. I am assuming that you are saying that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is small enough that [itex]sin\alpha[/itex] is approximately equal to [itex]\alpha[/itex] (which is NOT very accurate for [itex]\alpha[/itex] up to 1 radian- sin(1) is only about .84- so I may be wrong about that).

Okay, your basic equation is F= ma, force equals mass times acceleration. At any point, there is a force, -mg, straight down, but the swing chain offsets part of that- the force parallel to motion is [itex]-mg sin\alpha[/itex] so you have [itex]m d^2s/dt^2= -mg sin\alpha[/itex] or approximately [itex]m d^2s/dt^2= -mg sin\alpha[/itex] where s is measured along the arc of the swing. If [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] is approximately [itex]\alpha[/itex], then [itex]m d^2s/dt^2= -mg\alpha[/itex] approximately.
If the swing chain has length L, then [itex]s= L\alpha[/itex] so the equation is [itex]d^2\alpha/dt^2= (-g/L) \alpha[/itex] or [itex]md^2\alpha /dt^2+ (mg/L) \alpha= 0[/itex].

Now put in the father's push. He is pushing parallel to the arc of motion with magnitude mg so we have [itex]md^2\alpha/dt^2+ (mg/L) \alpha= mg[/itex]. As always with gravity problems, the "m"s cancel and we have [itex]d^2\alpha/dt^2+ (g/L) \alpha= g[/itex]. That's the equation you want to solve.

You're a lifesaver, thank you so much for your help!

Just when I thought I had this problem, turns out the 2.5 years of no differential equations has caught up to me. Can anyone help me on how to solve [itex]d^2\alpha/dt^2+ (g/L) \alpha= g[/itex]? I've been searching online and through books for the past 2 hours and can't get it :confused:. Thanks.

What is the "Father pushing child on swing problem"?

The "Father pushing child on swing problem" is a physics problem that involves a father pushing his child on a swing. The question typically asks what factors affect the motion of the child on the swing.

What are the main forces involved in this problem?

The main forces involved in this problem are the force of gravity, the normal force from the swing seat, and the force applied by the father pushing the swing.

How does the height of the swing affect the motion of the child?

The height of the swing affects the potential energy of the child. The higher the swing, the greater the potential energy, which will result in a longer swing time and a higher maximum speed for the child.

What is the relationship between the force applied by the father and the motion of the child?

The force applied by the father will affect the acceleration of the child on the swing. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration, resulting in a faster swing and a higher maximum speed for the child.

What other factors may affect the motion of the child on the swing?

Other factors that may affect the motion of the child on the swing include the mass and size of the child, the angle at which the father pushes the swing, and air resistance. Friction from the swing chains and the seat may also play a role in the child's motion.