Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Favourite field of mathematics

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    I myself love anything and everything to with algebra, particularly Galois theory. Number theory is a close second.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2
    Admittedly my mathematics background is extremely shallow (nothing higher than Calculus I), I have been working independently through a few modern abstract algebra books, I am enjoying this field of mathematics more than any other field I have been exposed to. I have just started learning group theory and will eventually move through fields, rings, Galois Theory, etc.

How far can someone go into this field of mathematics, because I am really enjoying it a lot. Of course, I am reserving my selection of specilization until I am exposed to more mathematics. I really enjoy the abstractness that this field of maths develops. It is refreshing to do something, which to me, is a lot different than calculus.
  4. Jan 26, 2007 #3
    I will also admit that I do not truly have deep knowledge in any particular area of mathematics to really pick a favorite, but currently I would say my favorite is algebra(even with my limited experience in it), but of the subjects I have had classes in I find complex analysis, and partial differential equations very interesting as well.
  5. Jan 26, 2007 #4
    Differential topology...was like discovering sex.
  6. Jan 26, 2007 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

>.< Number Theory, But I wouldn't say it was like discovering sex...lol. Both things are equally beautiful :p. Thats a BIG compliment for Number Theory, trust me :)
  7. Jan 27, 2007 #6
    I was fascinated with the idea of studying functions of a complex variable. Later I found out I could study functions on n- dimensional complex space. I currently studying function theory of several complex variables. I also like differential geometry.

So my hope is to study complex (differential) geometry (i.e., geometry of complex manifolds)
  8. Jan 27, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So far, the subject in math that was the most enthralling to me is functional analysis.
  9. Jan 27, 2007 #8
    You're only 15, how would you know?
  10. Jan 27, 2007 #9
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing.
  11. Jan 27, 2007 #10
    I'm somewhat partial to complex analysis and differential geometry. But I'm on an algebraic geometry kick at the moment, simply because I feel that Groebner bases are far cooler than they're given credit for.
  12. Jan 27, 2007 #11
    differential topology, differential geometry
  13. Jan 28, 2007 #12
    Differential topology and geometry are my current obsessions.
  14. Jan 28, 2007 #13
    dynamical systems (flow, collisionless or collisoin)

edit: oh and graph theory and 3D engine mathematics.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  15. Jan 28, 2007 #14
    It's so hard to say. I like analysis, differential geometry, algebraic and point set topology, combinatorics, logic, algebraic geometry, group theory, representation theory and commutative algebra.

But I hate non-commutative rings.
  16. Jan 28, 2007 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Number Theory.
  17. Jan 28, 2007 #16

Science Advisor

I prefer addition.
  18. Jan 29, 2007 #17

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Rofl we got a comedian here!

Quote theperthian (dunno if i spelled right): How would you know, your only 15?
    Quote d_leet : I was thinking the same thing

I got lucky :p

EDIT: I Spelled "Spelled" as "slept"...Im pretty bad at slepting :p
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  19. Jan 29, 2007 #18

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That gives me an idea, ima start a thread in PF lounge on when people lost their..innocence, thatll be a nice thread :p

Just need a mentor to tell me i wont be banned for doing so before i make it lol.

Btw: Last post, i was kidding.

Its like, f'(x)= d/dx (sex) and I don't know f(x), but Im using 10 Riemann Midpoint sums :P Im such a nerd
  20. Jan 31, 2007 #19

It's all you'll ever need :smile:
  21. Jan 31, 2007 #20
    Currently I'm doing some research in higher dimensional interior angles, which is a fun topic, dealing with the infamous gamma vector, but I particularly enjoy differential equations and am starting to develop a love for Complex Analysis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?