Galois Theory - Fixed Field of F and Definition of Aut(K/F)

In summary, Dummit and Foote, Chapter 14 - Galois Theory, Section 14.2 covers the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory and Corollary 10. Corollary 10 states that the order of the automorphism group of a Galois extension K over F is less than or equal to the degree of K over F, with equality if and only if F is the fixed field of the automorphism group. This raises a question about the definition of the automorphism group, as it may fix more than just F. This concept is also applicable in Lie groups.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 14 - Galois Theory.

I am currently studying Section 14.2 : The Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory ... ...

I need some help with Corollary 10 of Section 14.2 ... ... and the definition of ##\text{Aut}(K/F)## ... ...

Corollary 10 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=c449273793d4cc5b1c8e728316cb95dc.png

Now the Definition of ##\text{Aut}(K/F)## is as follows:

Now in Corollary 10 we read the following:

" ... ... Then

## | \text{Aut}(K/F) | \ \le \ [ K \ : \ F ]##

with equality if and only if ##F## is the fixed field of ##\text{Aut}(K/F)## ... ... "My question is as follows:

Given the definition of ##\text{Aut}(K/F)## shown above, isn't ##F## guaranteed to be the fixed field of ##\text{Aut}(K/F)## ... ... ?
Hope someone can resolve this problem/issue ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter
============================================================================================================
The above post will be easier to follow if readers understand D&F's definition of a Galois Extension and a Galois Group ... so I am providing the definition as follows ... ... :

Attachments

• D&F - Corollary 10 - Section 14.2 ... ....png
    D&F - Corollary 10 - Section 14.2 ... ....png
    15.5 KB · Views: 867
  • D&F - Definition of Aut( K - F )  ... ....png
    D&F - Definition of Aut( K - F ) ... ....png
    5.1 KB · Views: 574
  • D&F - Definition of Galois Extension and Galois Group   ... ....png
    D&F - Definition of Galois Extension and Galois Group ... ....png
    23.3 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider the group of automorphisms of K that fix F, that group may in fact fix more than just F, namely F1 making F1 the fixed field.

I'm very rusty on my Galois Theory but this is true for Lie groups too when you consider automorphisms of a Lie group vs inner automorphisms.

Likes Math Amateur
Hi jambaugh ... thanks for the help ...

OK can see that ... that seems to explain it ...

Thanks again,

Peter

What is Galois Theory?

Galois Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies field extensions, which are algebraic structures that extend the field of rational numbers. It investigates the relationship between field extensions, automorphisms (transformations that preserve the structure of a field), and the roots of polynomials.

What is the Fixed Field of F in Galois Theory?

The Fixed Field of F in Galois Theory refers to the subset of elements in a field extension that are fixed by all automorphisms in the Galois group. In other words, it is the set of elements that remain unchanged under all possible transformations of the field.

What is the Definition of Aut(K/F) in Galois Theory?

Aut(K/F) refers to the group of automorphisms that map the field extension K back to itself, while fixing the elements in the base field F. This group plays a crucial role in Galois Theory, as it helps to determine the structure and properties of the field extension.

What is the significance of Galois Theory in mathematics?

Galois Theory has many applications in mathematics, particularly in the fields of algebra, number theory, and geometry. It has also played a significant role in the development of other mathematical theories, such as group theory and algebraic geometry.

What are the main concepts in Galois Theory?

Some of the key concepts in Galois Theory include field extensions, Galois groups, fixed fields, and automorphisms. Other important ideas include the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory, which relates the structure of the Galois group to the properties of the field extension, and the concept of a normal extension, which is essential for understanding the solvability of polynomial equations.