Feeling like I forget everything I learn

• Studying
  • Thread starter LevLandau
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is questioning why they forget information after studying it for a long period of time and taking a break from it. The expert responds that this is a normal occurrence and that the brain tends to retain important insights even if the details are forgotten. They also recommend focusing on the big picture and connecting basic ideas rather than trying to remember all the details. They use the analogy of training for a marathon to explain the concept.
LevLandau
Hi; I study mathematics/theoretical physics. I learn a lot of stuff (advanced math/physics theory); but after few month; feeling like I forget everything I learn. Why? for example; I am working 7/24 mathematics (in academic year); after I am resting in the summer. I do not read anything in the summer months. and then I feel like I forget everything when I start again study. Why? My motivation in this case does not remain. I feel very bad. also when I don't work (study) for a long time; then I feel reluctant when I want to study. in short; is this normal ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinon: That you forget stuff is normal. When you study over long periods, your brain gets used to analytical thinking and you get some important insights that help you to understand the subject. Both of these tend to stick in some way and you will feed on that later, even if you have forgotten most of the details. When you start researching you will naturally find that you have to review some things, but that it does not take even remotely as much time to relearn it as it takes to learn it from 0.

No reason to feel bad. :smile: What I can really recommend is to try to get that big picture and connecting the basic ideas, details one can look up when they are needed.

Likes symbolipoint
You lost your shape when you stopped studying.

Think: You train for a marathon for 8 months and then while you're in excellent condition, you give yourself a rest for 2 or 3 months. When this rest is over, you go back to your training - but you cannot make the distance of when you stopped for the 2 or 3 month rest.

Thank you for comments :)

1. Why do I always feel like I forget everything I learn?

There are several reasons why someone may feel like they forget everything they learn. Some possible factors may include lack of sleep, stress and anxiety, poor study habits, or underlying learning disabilities.

2. How can I improve my memory and retention of information?

There are various techniques that can help improve memory and retention of information, such as practicing active learning, using mnemonic devices, breaking up study sessions, and getting enough sleep and exercise.

3. Is it normal to forget information after learning it?

It is normal to forget some information after learning it, as the brain is constantly processing new information and discarding what is deemed less important. However, if you consistently feel like you forget everything you learn, it may be worth seeking assistance from a professional.

4. How can I tell if my forgetfulness is due to a learning disability?

If you consistently struggle with retaining information despite putting in effort, it may be worth seeking a professional evaluation to determine if you have a learning disability. Some common learning disabilities include dyslexia, dyscalculia, and ADHD.

5. Can diet and lifestyle affect my ability to remember information?

Yes, diet and lifestyle can play a significant role in memory and retention. Eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep and exercise, and managing stress can all contribute to improved memory and cognitive function.