Feeling pessimistic about my Astrophysics B.S, looking towards GeoPhysics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Tokage
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I hope this is the right section to be posting this in, if not hopefully it will just be moved.
I am an Astrophysics major currently seeking my B.S in my second year starting this fall. As such I'm not anywhere near elbow deep in it yet and am beginning to have second thoughts. Through high school I thought that I would graduate from college with an astrophysics degree and begin to study the compisition of Jupiters moons or something equally as exotic in the fields of astronomy and/or physics. Now that I am in college, and have begun heavily researching job opportunities for someone holding an Astrophysics Bachelors I have become pessimistic to say the least. It doesn't really seem there's much opportunity for me without getting a masters and/or doctorate, and even then it doesn't seem the options aren't necessarily outstanding. What kind of options am i realistically with a Astrophysics Bachelors?

As of late, I've been really looking into geophysics. It something that interests me equally, the job market seems a lot more solid, and the pay seems to be all around good.
Currently being a Astrophysics major, would adding Geology to my degree allow me to work in this field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
According to the (google) research I've done, I'd say you're correct about not much out there for just an undergrad. That's why I'm, personally, battling between Engineering Physics with a minor in EE or just pure EE and later, physics when I go to grad school...

I'm not sure how well an undergrad in geophysics will do for you in the jobworld, but I would claim it's probably a safer bet than just an undergrad in Astrophysics. Plus, watching Science Channel, some guy had a degree in Astrogeology.