Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FEMM - 2d finite element emag simulation

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    Hi!

Does anybody here have experience with the FEMM simulation software? Its pretty popular in the engg community. I basically use it for simulating magnetostatic problems.

If you do (and if this is the right forum, it is EE after all), could somebody tell me how I can do transient analysis, sinusoidal current inputs, etc using FEMM? I basically would like to send sinusoidally varying currents (or other such combinations) to a simple solenoid.

Also, could somebody suggest some good *free* 3d simulation software, since the 2D version isn't too convenient for visualizing effects, and also other free 2D simulation software. Even an evaluation copy for 3d simulation would be helpful - if its available for download right away.

'Quickfield' is another software that uses FE and has a 2d student version, but its way too limited for any practical problems.

Thanks,
    rsr_life

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
    thanks for that berkeman.

im still a student, so I'm allowed to use most of the software ppl mentioned. The ansoft software - the student version, has a very poor interface. dont really have time to spend on that one.

Anyway, a 3d version would have been a cookie. Still, could anybody with experience with FEMM answer my earlier question regarding sinusoidal inputs to solenoids in FEMM? Do I write a Lua script (is that available, i dont have muche xperience with Lua).

Berkeman, what expression would you use get the magnetic field at any point around an electromagnet (not just radial) given the current? I'd like to simulate this for a solenoid. Doing this in matlab should give me a 3d view of the magnetic field, i suppose.

Thanks,

rsr_life

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?