How Can I Create a 3D Magnetic Field Simulation with Ansoft Maxwell?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with simulating the magnetic field produced by two vertical permanent magnets with a distance d between them in both 2D and 3D. They have successfully used FEMM for 2D simulation but are struggling with using Ansoft Maxwell 3D for 3D simulation. They have defined the geometry and materials, but are unsure about boundary conditions and representing the field distribution. They are also seeking assistance with using the "3D rectangular plot" in Maxwell's reports to represent the magnetic field's intensity.
inishmore
Hi guys, this is my first post!
I have to simulate in 2D and 3D the magnetic field produced by two permanent magnets arranged vertically and separated by a distance d. For 2D simulation I used the excellent FEMM, I discovered googling on internet, and I must say we are very pleased with the results. About 3D simulation, I searched in the net and I found the software Ansoft Maxwell 3D, which seemed more than appropriate for my purposes. Only that I'm having some difficulty in using it. This is what I must do: graphically represent the magnetic field via its force lines, or via a colored flux density map (like FEMM) and calculate the magnetic field's intensity relatively to a plane between the two magnets.

I've already defined the geometry of the problem, assigned the materials, changed the direction of magnetization through the thickness along the Z-axis (Maxwell's default is along the X-axis). What about boundary conditions. In my 2D simulation I assumed asymptotic boundary conditions. What do you reccomended? Reading the Maxwell's user guide, I had thought about using a vacuum box to limit the region of simulation. I'm having some difficulties to represent the field distribution, too. The results are strange, at least for me. I also tried to represent the field's intensity (relatively to a plane) on a graph, but there's no way to do it. I think I'm doing something wrong. Could anyone give me an hand?

I trust in your help guys. I'd be very grateful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So guys, I've solved all my problems, except one: who know how to use the "3D rectangular plot" in Maxwell's reports? I need to represent the magnetic field's intensity in a 3D graph. Thanks for any advices.

1. What is a magnetic field simulation?

A magnetic field simulation is a computer-generated model of how magnetic fields behave in a given system. It uses mathematical equations to predict the strength and direction of magnetic fields in different areas.

2. What is the purpose of magnetic field simulation?

Magnetic field simulations are used to study and understand the behavior of magnetic fields in various systems, such as the Earth's magnetic field or magnetic fields created by electronic devices. They can also be used to design and optimize magnetic systems for specific purposes.

3. How is a magnetic field simulation created?

A magnetic field simulation is created by inputting data into a computer program, such as Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. The program then uses this data to create a visual representation of the magnetic field.

4. What are the applications of magnetic field simulation?

Magnetic field simulations have a wide range of applications, including in physics research, engineering design, and geophysics. They are also used in the development of medical and industrial technologies that utilize magnetic fields.

5. How accurate are magnetic field simulations?

The accuracy of a magnetic field simulation depends on the complexity of the system being modeled and the accuracy of the input data. In general, modern simulation techniques can produce highly accurate results, but they may still have limitations in predicting complex behaviors or interactions.