Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi level, band structure of solids, and effect on electrical conduction

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    how is the relationship between fermi level and band structure of solids can effect electrical conduction properties of a material?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2
    Hi,

The Fermi Level is the energy level of the valence electrons at 0 K. it is also the upper limit of the valence band. if the Fermi level is above the lower end of the conduction band (like metals), the valence electrons have enough energy to flow, and the material is thus a good conductor. If the Fermi level is separted from the lower end of the conduction band by a large gap, then the electrons do not have enough energy to escape their bonds (insulators). However, if this band gap is small (semi conductors), the electrons could be externally excited (eg., thermally, electric field) in order to jump into the conduction band and flow.

hope this helps

Ali

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    :) thanks, nice and easy :P

5. Aug 19, 2011 #4
    when calculating occupancy of a semiconductor material 50meV from conduction band at temperature T.

my question is: do i start by using the fermi dirac distrubution function? or is there something im missing?

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    hi,
    i read somewhere that fermi level is situated at the middle of energy band gap for intrinsic semiconductors,above the center for n-type semiconductors and below the center for p-type semiconductors.i,however,am not able to understand the reason behind it.please help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook