Few question related to power series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of convergence and interval of convergence for a power series. The first question asks for help in including a term into the equation, while the second question wonders if there is a systematic way to find power series with a given interval of convergence. The third question brings up the harmonic series and whether it converges, and the last question suggests using a ratio test to determine convergence.
seto6

Homework Statement

let an= [tex]\sum^{k=1}_{n}[/tex] 1/[tex]\sqrt{k}[/tex]
what is the radius of convergence of [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\suma^{n=1}_{infinity} a_{n}x^n[/tex]

i tired including the an term into the x^n equation then i got stuck.. help please

2. Suppose that [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are positive real numbers with [tex]\alpha[/tex] < [tex]\beta[/tex]. find a power series with an interval of convergence that is of the given interval:

I. ([tex]\alpha[/tex],[tex]\beta[/tex])
II. [[tex]\alpha[/tex],[tex]\beta[/tex])

i basically came up with power series that i know that has this convergence, but is there a systematic way of doing it, with a real proof.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know about the harmonc series [tex] \sum \frac{1}{k}[/tex] and whether it converges?

could you compare your seres to it?

i don't think it would help much

ok but you know a_n diverges as n gets large right?

have you tried a ratio test?

1. What is a power series and what is its general form?

A power series is a mathematical series in which each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a power. Its general form is ∑n=0 cn(x-a)n, where cn are the coefficients, x is the variable, and a is the center of the series.

2. How can a power series be used to approximate a function?

A power series can be used to approximate a function by finding its Taylor series, which is a special type of power series that represents the function at a specific point. By using more terms in the series, the approximation becomes more accurate.

3. What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series in which the series converges. It is calculated by using the ratio test or the root test on the coefficients of the series.

4. Can a power series represent any function?

No, a power series can only represent functions that are analytic, meaning they can be expressed as a power series. Functions that have discontinuities, such as step functions, cannot be represented by a power series.

5. How can power series be used in calculus?

Power series can be used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals of functions. This is because the derivatives and integrals of power series are well-defined and can be easily calculated. Power series can also be used to find the Maclaurin series of a function, which is a special case of the Taylor series and is centered at 0.