1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power series where radius of convergence > lower limit

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} a_n(z-a)^n## be a real or complex power series and set ##\alpha =
    \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##. If ##\alpha = \infty## then the convergence radius ##R=0##, else ##R## is given by ##R = \frac{1}{\alpha}##, where ##0<R\leq\infty##.
    A lower bound for the convergence radius can by found by using ##\beta = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|} ##, such that ##\frac{1}{\beta} = \tilde{R}##, so ##\tilde{R} \leq R##

Construct an example of a power series where ##\tilde{R} \neq R##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried some different kinds of values for ##a_n##, but I always end up with same answer for ##R## and ##\tilde{R}##.
    I think i need to define ##a_n## recursively, but I don't know how to prove it, below I've written the relation between ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}##.

##\beta^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{|a_{n}|}{|a_{n+1}|} < \alpha^{-1} = \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_n|^{-\frac{1}{n}}##
    which implies that
    ##\limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow0\infty} |a_{n+1}| > \limsup\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty} |a_{n}||a_n|^{\frac{1}{n}}##
    I tried a few recursively defined ##a_n## but then I ended up with complicated expressions that I could find the limit of.

Can you think of a clever way to define ##a_n##, or do you have some suggestions for what I could do next?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Both of your limits are as x → 0, but x is not in the expressions you're taking the limits of. What should it be?

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3
    Oops I forgot to change the variables when I copied from a latex example, it should be fixed now.

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You cannot multiply like that.

You don't have to prove anything for the general case, it is sufficient to construct a counterexample. You want β to be large and α to be small. How can you make the limsup of the ratios large without making all the elements large?

6. Sep 26, 2015 #5
    Okay thank you so much for the help.
    I think I found a solution by choosing ##a_n = 2## if ##n## is even and ##a_n = 3## if ##n## is odd, then I end up having ##\tilde{R} = \frac{2}{3} < 1 = R##.

7. Sep 26, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted