Feynman diagram tattoo suggestion

In summary: Didn't say anything about being impressed. I think the OP's intention was to get a good tattoo suggestion from the community and not be judged.
-Sirius-
Hi all

After many months of contemplating, coming up with tattoo ideas, waiting a few months to see if I still like that idea, etc etc, I've settled on getting a Feynman diagram for many reasons, but having a but of trouble settling on one in particular.

I've seen a few with the standard (http://uslhc.quantumdiaries.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eetoee1.png ) which is a bit too boring for me, however I don't want anything overly busy as well.

I'm not technical enough to come up with my own, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that might look good. Nothing too specific as well, I want to be able to understand/explain what it means relatively easy.

I've also had a bit of a search around the forum but haven't found anything in particular in tattoo posts for F diagrams.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I found that particular beta decay diagram to be pretty interesting as well, top of the list for now.

If you aren't "technical enough" to come up with your own idea, why are you even getting one? Why would you tattoo something on yourself that you don't even understand?

Don't you think a tattoo should have some personal meaning to yourself instead of just being decoration? If you're just decorating yourself then what you're really doing is looking for attention from other people, and no one is going to be impressed with a Feynman diagram.

I'm assuming you're young and haven't thought this through, why don't you reconsider?

feynman-diagram-tattoo-1.jpg

http://talklikeaphysicist.com/2008/physics-tattoo-tuesday-feynman-diagram-tattoo/

dipole said:
If you aren't "technical enough" to come up with your own idea, why are you even getting one? Why would you tattoo something on yourself that you don't even understand?

Don't you think a tattoo should have some personal meaning to yourself instead of just being decoration? If you're just decorating yourself then what you're really doing is looking for attention from other people, and no one is going to be impressed with a Feynman diagram.

I'm assuming you're young and haven't thought this through, why don't you reconsider?

I don't see where the OP asked for criticism. He just asked for a tattoo suggestion, so please stay on topic.

-Sirius- said:
Hi all

After many months of contemplating, coming up with tattoo ideas, waiting a few months to see if I still like that idea, etc etc, I've settled on getting a Feynman diagram for many reasons, but having a but of trouble settling on one in particular.

I've seen a few with the standard (http://uslhc.quantumdiaries.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eetoee1.png ) which is a bit too boring for me, however I don't want anything overly busy as well.

I'm not technical enough to come up with my own, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that might look good. Nothing too specific as well, I want to be able to understand/explain what it means relatively easy.

I've also had a bit of a search around the forum but haven't found anything in particular in tattoo posts for F diagrams.

Cheers!

Have you considered the penguin?

micromass said:
I don't see where the OP asked for criticism. He just asked for a tattoo suggestion, so please stay on topic.
Is it really off-topic to ask the OP why he'd want to tattoo something he doesn't even understand? That seems harsh, especially in GD.

Would it be off-topic to respond to someone asking for say, insult suggestions to use at his teacher, with a recommendation that he reconsider the idea?

Gokul43201 said:
Is it really off-topic to ask the OP why he'd want to tattoo something he doesn't even understand? That seems harsh, especially in GD.

Would it be off-topic to respond to someone asking for say, insult suggestions to use at his teacher, with a recommendation that he reconsider the idea?

He didn't ask anything. He immediately came to the assumption that he tried to impress other people and that it didn't have a personal meaning to the OP.
I'm just saying it's better to ask the OP first before he forms an opinion about him.

I didn't reply earlier for the exact reason that has now come up, but I'll add it. The point seems quite valid (to me), and certainly in between the wide berths of general discussion (to me).

I didn't have to make the assumption that the OP is trying to impress anyone with it and still think it's a rather poor idea to tattoo something like that on yourself that you don't really understand.

I do in fact like tattoos, even nerdy ones. I also know that if I saw someone with a tattoo like that that, I'd immediately make some assumptions about their knowledge and probably say something about it.

I thought my post earlier to be best left unsaid, but maybe it should be posted more like a fair warning to the OP. If you get a tattoo like that without understanding it, be prepared for the situation where someone starts a conversation based on it and expects you to know something.

If you plan on going that far into physics, then maybe hold off until then. I see that you said you want to understand the diagram that you choose. That may be enough to fend someone off. Good luck.

Yeah, fair enough. It's indeed a very poor decision to get a tattoo to impress somebody else. But I don't necessary think this is the OP's intention.

Perhaps we could get the OP to explain why he wants this specific tattoo??

I guess explaining my reasons were inevitable after all, I was just hoping to get some suggestions without needing to clarify "why" all the time.

Yes, I wouldn't know where to start if you asked me to , however I do have enough knowledge to understand if shown one what it's depicting or with a brief summary.

I do not have a physics related job only a science degree, however it has been my passion as a hobby ever since I first watched "The pleasure of learning" when I was 12 years old, a documentary on Feynman - it was his exuberance, charisma, and passion for the subject which captivated me, and since watching that and reading many biographies on him since then I always looked up to him as a sort of mentor even though I am not pursuing a career in physics.

Physics and astronomy are topics that have given me so much joy from a young age, and I've always tried to find a way to express that somehow.

I also was initially looking into getting something astronomy related however they are just way too common and would take up too much surface area on the skin - the same with just an equation, very common as well. I figured then a Feynman diagram would be something not as common and can only take up a very small part of my body as I don't want it exposed.

I do not want to get it try look smart, I just want to depict on myself that passion of knowledge (that Feynman had and rubbed off on me) and my own personal interest in science as it has greatly impacted my life and has made my the person I am.

I appreciate the concern (I'm hoping it's concern) however please trust me when I say I have thoroughly thought this, I am not the type of person to rush into something like this.

whats a mathematician doing on a Feynman diagram thread. Just joking.

I'd get 'I <3 Dick'

... Dick as in Richard, Richard Feynman :biggrin:
He sure was a FINE man!

enough with the world play?
I think so

dipole said:
I confess, I had exactly the same thought.

Let me phrase it in a form that directly answers the OP's question: "...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions"...

My suggestion is that - considering a tattoo will be with you the rest of your life - you should get something that is deeply personal to you. It doesn't matter if anyone else understands it; what's important is that you understand it.

-Sirius- said:
Hmm a bit too busy I think, and looks to be a bit over complicated to explain (something to do with the decay of Xi baryon?).

I'm not minding this so far - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Decay.svg.png - but keep them coming.

That link didn't work for me, Sirius.

DaveC426913 said:
I confess, I had exactly the same thought.

Let me phrase it in a form that directly answers the OP's question: "...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions"...

My suggestion is that - considering a tattoo will be with you the rest of your life - you should get something that is deeply personal to you. It doesn't matter if anyone else understands it; what's important is that you understand it.

In that vein, there are lots of possibilities when it comes to honoring Feynman. How about bongo drums :biggrin:?

lisab said:
Ah - thanks, Astro.

Is there a Feyman diagram that looks like bongo drums :smile:?

Hmm not that I know of Lisa lol - there is one with a penguin..

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of interactions between subatomic particles in quantum field theory. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman and is used to calculate the probability of different outcomes in particle interactions.

2. Why would someone want a Feynman diagram tattoo?

Some people may choose to get a Feynman diagram tattoo as a way to express their love for science or their admiration for Richard Feynman. Others may see it as a symbol of curiosity, exploration, and the pursuit of knowledge.

3. Are there different types of Feynman diagram tattoos?

Yes, there are many variations of Feynman diagram tattoos. Some people may choose to get a specific diagram that holds personal significance to them, while others may opt for a more abstract representation of the concept.

4. Where is the best place to get a Feynman diagram tattoo on the body?

This ultimately depends on personal preference, but some popular placements for Feynman diagram tattoos include the forearm, upper arm, back, and chest.

5. How much would a Feynman diagram tattoo cost?

The cost of a tattoo can vary greatly depending on the size, placement, and complexity of the design. It's best to consult with a tattoo artist to get an accurate price quote for your desired Feynman diagram tattoo.