Semester Project concerning Feynman Diagrams

In summary, Chris is a sophomore in college studying to be an ER doctor and particle physicist. As part of an honors course, he is working on a research project about Feynman diagrams. However, his current knowledge in calculus is not enough to understand the mathematics behind the diagrams. He has reached out to physics professors for help and is also trying to teach himself Feynman's work. Some suggested resources include Zee's "QFT in a nutshell" and investigating the path-integral approach to quantum mechanics. However, these may still be out of reach without a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics and advanced mathematical methods.
PraoWolf
Hi there everyone. I'll try to keep this short. I'm currently a sophomore at a local college. I'm in Honors Calculus 1 and part of the honors course requires a research project at the end of the semester. I'm studying to be an ER Doctor/Particle Physicist, yes I know this will take some time, I have set aside the 10-12 years it will take, I work full-time, school full-time and have a wife and daughter. I am determined to achieve that degree. There's a lot more, ask if you want to know about the repoman trying to be a Physician-Scientist.

Anyways, my idea for my project is to take two Feynman Diagrams, and explain the mathematics behind it. I figure in this way I can show off the Feynman diagrams, show the genius of his work and celebrate the man at the same time. Feynman is a personal hero of mine. Problem is I'm a calculus 1 student, regardless of how good I am at math, I simply don't have the upper level math required for some of these calculations. I understand what the diagrams represent how a particle enters a reaction and how it comes out, but there needs to be a Calculus element for my class.

I'm looking for either suggestions or some resources to find out more. Everything I seem to find is talking about levels of Calculus that are way above my head at the moment. The only document I've found is from UC-Berkeley going through Taylor Series which has some information I can actually understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS: For the record I have opened communication with the Physics professors on campus for help as well and am in the process of teaching myself Feynman's work.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't want to discourage you, but I guess Calculus 1 is unfortunately not enough to understand what's behind Feynman diagrams. For this you need quite advanced mathematical methods used in quantum field theory, including some Hilbert-space theory, the theory of distributions (generalized functions), and Fourier analysis.

You could try to read chapter 1 of Zee's "QFT in a nutshell", which is the most accesible introduction to the structure of Feynman diagrams, including simple analogous from ordinary calculus (Feynman diagrams come from functionals instead of functions).

If that's out of reach for you, your project most probably is. Honestly, I think your background is not enough to say something sensible yet about Feynman-diagrams; one needs at least some exposure to more advanced stuff, including quantum mechanics. ,

You could try to investigate the path-integral approach to quantum mechanics; for that you don't need any relativistic QM or field theory, and as such is more accesible.

Zee's book is not a good source at all. You don't learn how quantum field theory really works! I'd rather recommend Ryder.

1. What are Feynman Diagrams?

Feynman Diagrams are visual representations of particle interactions in quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s as a way to calculate the probabilities of particle interactions.

2. Why are Feynman Diagrams important?

Feynman Diagrams are important because they provide a visual and intuitive way to understand and calculate the complex interactions of subatomic particles. They are also a crucial tool in the development and testing of theories in particle physics.

3. How do I create a Feynman Diagram?

Creating a Feynman Diagram involves following a set of rules and conventions, such as using different types of lines to represent different particles and arrows to show the direction of particle flow. There are also software programs available that can assist with creating Feynman Diagrams.

4. Can Feynman Diagrams be used for any type of particle interaction?

Yes, Feynman Diagrams can be used to represent all types of particle interactions, including those involving the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces. They can also be used to study complex interactions, such as those involving multiple particles.

5. Are Feynman Diagrams still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Feynman Diagrams are still widely used in modern physics and continue to be an important tool in understanding and developing theories in particle physics. They have also been extended to other fields, such as condensed matter physics and quantum information theory.