Feynman's (err, Gottlieb's) infinite pulley problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite series of pulleys and masses, with the goal of finding the acceleration of a specific mass at the moment the weights are released. The problem is described and equations are provided, but the conversation also addresses possible errors and contradictions. Eventually, through further thought and analysis, an understanding of the problem is achieved.
John1951

Homework Statement

OK, I've worked up my nerve to ask a stupid question about this problem. I've read the various discussions of it, but I'm clearly missing something.2. Homework Equations [/B]

The right-hand mass is 1/(1-t). The sum of the left-hand masses (an infinite series) is also 1/(1-t).

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore, the weight on both sides of the top pulley is equal and a = 0.

This clearly is not true, so where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not everyone will be familiar with this problem. Please post either a full description of it or a link to such.

John1951 said:

Homework Statement

OK, I've worked up my nerve to ask a stupid question about this problem. I've read the various discussions of it, but I'm clearly missing something.

The problem is as follows:

A pulley is fixed to the ceiling. On one side hangs a mass m0. On the other side hangs a second pulley.

On one side of the second pulley hangs a mass m1, on the other hangs a third pulley, and the series of pullies and weights continues as infinitum.

M0 = 1/(1-t), mi = t**(i-1) for i > 0.

To find: the acceleration of m0 at the moment the weights are released.
2. Homework Equations [/B]

The right-hand mass is 1/(1-t). The sum of the left-hand masses (an infinite series) is also 1/(1-t).

Thanks!

upload_2016-7-28_10-41-37.png

An infinite series of pulleys and masses is arranged as shown, with m0 = 1/(1–t), and mi = t(i–1) for i > 0, with 0 < t < 1. At the moment the pulleys are released from rest, what is the acceleration of mass m0?

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-28_10-41-11.png
    upload_2016-7-28_10-41-11.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 579
John1951 said:

Consider the simpler problem shown below with just two pulleys. The total mass on the left side of the top pulley is 10 kg which is the same as the mass on the right side. Assume that the acceleration of ##m_0## is zero and show that you get a contradiction. (Consider the tensions ##T_0## and ##T_1## and treat the pulleys as massless.)

upload_2016-7-28_11-18-11.png
For the original problem with the infinite set of pulleys, there is one value of the parameter ##t## that makes the acceleration of ##m_0## equal to zero. But in general it is not zero.

Last edited:
John1951 said:

Homework Statement

OK, I've worked up my nerve to ask a stupid question about this problem. I've read the various discussions of it, but I'm clearly missing something.[/B]
m0 = 1/(1-t), mi= t^(i-1) for i > 0.

Homework Equations

Thanks!
What possible range of values for ##\ t\ ## make sense in regard to ##\ m_0, m_1, m_2, \dots\ ## being masses?

If ##\ t>1\,,\ ## then ##\ m_0\ ## would be negative. Can't have that.

If ##\ t=1\,,\ ## then ##\ m_0\ ## would be undefined. Can't have that.

If ##\ t<0\,,\ ## then ##\ m_i\ ## would be negative for even values of ##\ i\,,\ i>0\ ##. Can't have that.

If ##\ t=0\,,\ ## then ##\ m_i\ ## would be zero for ##\ i>0\ ##. So, clearly the statement is false in this case.

Therefore, you need to check this situation for ##\ 0<t<1\ .\ ##

To see how this all works, try the case of t = 0.5 .

Added in Edit:
Actually, t = 0.5 is not a representative case. It's a special case. Try it anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for all the help on this. It led to a lot of thought and finally to understanding of this problem.

1. What is "Feynman's (err, Gottlieb's) infinite pulley problem"?

"Feynman's (err, Gottlieb's) infinite pulley problem" is a famous physics problem that was originally posed by physicist Richard Feynman, but was later corrected and solved by mathematician David Gottlieb. It involves an infinite number of pulleys and a weight hanging from them, and the goal is to determine the tension in the rope at any given point.

2. What makes this problem so interesting?

This problem is interesting because it involves a seemingly simple system of pulleys, but the solution is not immediately obvious. It requires a deep understanding of physics and mathematics to solve, and has been a subject of much discussion and debate in the scientific community.

3. Is this problem relevant to real-world applications?

While this problem may not have direct real-world applications, it serves as a great exercise in problem-solving and critical thinking. It also allows us to explore the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to different scenarios.

4. How was this problem initially solved by Feynman?

Feynman's initial solution to this problem involved an incorrect assumption that the tension in the rope would be constant throughout. However, this was later corrected and solved by Gottlieb using a different method that took into account the changing tension in the rope.

5. What can we learn from "Feynman's (err, Gottlieb's) infinite pulley problem"?

This problem teaches us the importance of thoroughly understanding the principles and assumptions behind a problem before attempting to solve it. It also highlights the importance of collaboration and the value of different perspectives in finding a solution.