Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber optic based beam splitter

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1

Does any of you know any commercially available fiber optic - beam splitter?

It is very crucial for my experiment where I distribute an electromagnetic beam from one laser source (infrared) to two waveguides.. Since I am coupling using fibers, I require a fiber optic based beam splitter. . But I can't seem to find one that is available commercially.. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    When you say infrared, what wavelength do you mean? Fibers are usually used to guide light around 1 micron, 1310 nm and 1550 nm (for other wavelengths you'd have difficulties finding fiber, let alone beam splitters).

Once you have a wavelength in mind, it is very straightforward to find beam splitters. Fiber beam splitters are also called couplers - they come in a variety of configurations (1x2, 2x2, 2x1, 1xN whatever) and split ratios (50/50, 90/10,...). There are also couplers for single mode fibers, multimode fibers, Polarization Maintaining fibers...

These are available all over the place, and are very cheap. I suppose it depends which part of the world you live in, just google for "single mode couplers" (or multimode, or whatever you want). You could try http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/ (I use them for my fiber needs, there are surely many others). Or you could get stuff from China, if you know companies you can trust. Can't beat the price!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?