1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiber Optic Y Connection Question

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    Is it possible to have a fiber optic wire spliced onto another (or starting from 3 separate fibers) to form a Y shape and have loss-less (or close thereto, as good as a normal splice) transmission from 2 of the fibers into the third? I know this wouldn't work for double-clad fiber or for single-mode fiber - but I'm wondering if setting a bunch of fiber lasers in a binary tree configuration to increase output power would be more practical than building a fiber disk laser (in terms of ease of the build, since a disk laser cavity requires some pretty precise mechanical tuning).

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2012 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

So you are asking if you can do a 3-way fusion splice?

I would say theoretically yes, practically no. Not easily anyway.

Claude.

4. Jul 13, 2012 #3
    I'm guessing you would need to align the angles correctly, but would a 3-way fusion splice require the fibers to have the crystal lattices of their tips aligned as well, or just the angles?

5. Jul 13, 2012 #4
    You would not be able to build this yourself, but they are deployed in great volumes in passive optical networks (such as Verizon's FIOS).

6. Jul 14, 2012 #5
    I just had a thought, and might be incredibly wrong, but if not:

Could you use a liquid with the same refraction index as the doped fiber to create the junction?

I'm considering if you were to machine out a Y-shaped cavity with 3 holes, placed 2 fibers inside then filled with a similar refractive index fluid, then inserted the third fiber (perhaps submersed to prevent air bubbles).

7. Jul 14, 2012 #6
    Index matching gels or "optical gels" are routinely used for splicing fibers. Splitters and combiners is a whole different situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook