Fibonacci Proof with Induction

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Fibonacci numbers and the use of regular or strong induction to prove it. The question involves showing that the formula f(n+2) - f(n+1)^2 = f(n)f(n+3) holds for all n. The conversation discusses how to approach the problem using strong induction and provides a step-by-step explanation of the proof.
shane1
I'm working on a question as stated above for my computer science course. Since the topic was taken the Fibonacci numbers have puzzled me with their laws for simplification etc...

Here is the question:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7668/fib0au.png

I'm not sure where to start with it whether I should use standard induction or strong induction to prove it.

Any help would be apreciated.

PS if this is in the wrong place then move it.

-Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, start it and then decide whether to use regular or strong induction. Whichever you use, you will need to prove the "base" case:
with n= 1 you want to show that f32- f2[/sup]2= f1f4. Of course, f1= 1,f2= 1, f3= 2, f4= 3 so that just says
22- 12= 1*3 which is true.
Since that involves numbers less than just n-1, "strong induction" will probably work better. Assume that fk+22- fk+12= fkfk+3 for some k. Then we need to show that fk+32- fk+22= fk+1fk+4. By definition of Fibonacci sequence, fk+4= fk+2+ fk+1, fk+3= fk+1+ fk+2, fk+2= fk+ fk+1, fk+1= fk+ fk+1 so try putting those in.

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence in which each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. It is often represented as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. What is the purpose of proving the Fibonacci sequence with induction?

The purpose of proving the Fibonacci sequence with induction is to show that the mathematical equation used to generate the sequence is valid and can be applied to all natural numbers. This helps to solidify the understanding of the sequence and its properties.

3. How does the proof with induction work?

The proof with induction works by showing that the equation used to generate the Fibonacci sequence is true for the first two numbers (0 and 1) and then assuming it is true for any given number (k). Using this assumption, the proof then shows that it must also be true for the next number (k+1). This process is repeated for all natural numbers, proving the validity of the equation.

4. Why is it important to prove the Fibonacci sequence with induction?

Proving the Fibonacci sequence with induction is important because it allows us to confidently use the sequence and its properties in other mathematical calculations and proofs. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the sequence and its underlying mathematical principles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fibonacci sequence?

Yes, the Fibonacci sequence has many real-world applications, including in biology, computer science, and finance. It can be used to model population growth, create algorithms for efficient data structures, and predict stock market trends, among other things.