1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series coefficients: proof by induction

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given f = a0 + sum(ancos(nx) + bnsin(nx))
    and f' = a0' + sum(an'cos(nx) + bn'sin(nx))
    The sums are over all positive integers up to n.

show that a0' = 0, an' = nbn, bn' = -nan

Then prove a similar formula for the coefficients of f(k) using induction.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK I showed the first part (for the first derivative coefficients) by taking the derivative of f, that was easy enough. I have to confess that the teacher's question also said HINT: (Integrate by parts) but it was much simpler to just take the derivative of f.

I don't know if that's part of the reason i'm having trouble with the induction part or not, but it seems inefficient to integrate backward when it's such a simple thing to show these coefficients with the derivative. I have not had a lot of experience with induction, and I haven't had to do much as an engineering (as opposed to math) major.

So induction works like this: prove it for a single case, assume something is true for some integer k, then use that assumption to show it is also true for k+1. (This is to the best of my understanding)

After considering the problem for some time, i don't think it's too much to show that for any k, a0(k) = 0, since the derivative of 0 is 0, and I've shown that the derivative of a0 = 0.

It's the other coefficients that trip me up, because every time the derivative is taken, the coefficients will take on a value related to its opposite (in terms of functionally odd or even, i mean) coefficient. For example an' = nbn, notice that the derivative an' relies on the value of bn.

I guess I'm just not sure how to start. I feel like I could just do the derivative a bunch of times and look for a pattern, but I feel like that defeats the purpose of proof by induction.

EDIT:
    Ok, I wrote out f(k), then took the derivative and got that an(k+1) = nbn(k), but this isn't actually true, because, I did the bunch of derivatives and found that the pattern is actually

an(k+1) = nkbn(k)

How can I show that by induction? I can see that every time the function is differentiated it's going to cause another multiplication by n because of the chain rule, I'm just not quite sure how to show it mathematically.

EDIT2: I integrated f(k+1) but it didn't seem to really add anything new as far as a solution goes... also the HINT was to integrate by parts but looking at the expression, I don't really see anything to integrate by parts even if i wanted to.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think your teacher wants you to calculate the Fourier coefficients for f' using the usual integral formulas for the coefficients. You'll get integrals of the form
    $$\int_0^T f' \sin nx\,dx \\ \int_0^T f'\cos nx\,dx $$ which you can evaluate by integrating by parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted