Impossible to have solution to the equation. Induction Proof Problem

In summary, the problem states that for all integers n, it is impossible to have a solution to the equation 4^n = a^2 + b^2 + c^2, where a, b, and c are all positive integers. The hint given suggests showing that if m^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2, then a, b, and c must all be even. This can be done without using induction, but by considering the remainders when a perfect square is divided by four. By showing that there is no smallest value of n that gives a solution, it can be proven that there is no solution for any value of n.
M1ZeN

Homework Statement

For all integers n, it is impossible to have a solution to the equation

4^n = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

where a, b and c are all positive integers. (Hint: Notice that 4^n = 2^2n is a perfect square. Show (prove) that if m^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2, then we must have that a, b and c are all even. This can be done without induction; just think about what remainders a perfect square can leave when divided by four.)

Homework Equations

None in accordance from the chapter. I'm in a discrete mathematics course and this problem's chapter is on Induction. With the previous chapter before it was dealing with standard logic proofs.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only idea I could think of to attempt with is using the proof method of induction just like how I have used in the previous problems of my homework. By induction proof method, I mean the procedure of plugging in "n=1", to see if the proposition is true and continuing after by plugging in "n+1" etc. I'm just not sure how to adjust this problem to solve it by using induction.

Physics news on Phys.org
M1ZeN said:

Homework Statement

For all integers n, it is impossible to have a solution to the equation

4^n = a^2 + b^2 + c^2

where a, b and c are all positive integers. (Hint: Notice that 4^n = 2^2n is a perfect square. Show (prove) that if m^2 = a^2 + b^2 + c^2, then we must have that a, b and c are all even. This can be done without induction; just think about what remainders a perfect square can leave when divided by four.)

Homework Equations

None in accordance from the chapter. I'm in a discrete mathematics course and this problem's chapter is on Induction. With the previous chapter before it was dealing with standard logic proofs.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only idea I could think of to attempt with is using the proof method of induction just like how I have used in the previous problems of my homework. By induction proof method, I mean the procedure of plugging in "n=1", to see if the proposition is true and continuing after by plugging in "n+1" etc. I'm just not sure how to adjust this problem to solve it by using induction.

The way you want to solve it is not quite the same as that form of induction. If n=0 then there is no solution. It's easy to check for n=1 there is also no solution. So if there is one, there must be a SMALLEST value of n that gives a solution. If you've figured out why a, b and c must all be even then you should be able to show that there is also a solution for a SMALLER value of n. That would be a logical contradiction of n being the SMALLEST. Hence there is no solution. Can you fill in the details?

1. How do you know if an equation has no solution?

An equation has no solution if, after simplifying and rearranging the terms, the variable disappears and you are left with a statement that is always false, such as 0 = 5. This means that no value for the variable will make the equation true.

2. What is an induction proof problem?

An induction proof problem is a type of mathematical proof where we prove that a statement or equation holds true for all possible cases by using a series of logical steps called "induction". This is often used to prove that a formula or equation holds true for all natural numbers.

3. Why is it impossible to have a solution to an equation in an induction proof problem?

In an induction proof problem, we assume that the statement or equation holds true for a specific value of n (usually n = 1) and then prove that it also holds true for the next value of n. Since we are proving that the statement holds true for all possible values of n, there is no specific solution to the equation, as it must hold true for all values of n.

4. Can you give an example of an impossible solution in an induction proof problem?

Sure, one example is the equation n = n+1. If we assume that this equation holds true for n = 1, then we must also prove that it holds true for n = 2. However, when we substitute n = 2 into the equation, we get 2 = 3, which is not true. This shows that there is no specific solution to the equation, as it must hold true for all values of n, but there is no value of n that satisfies the equation.

5. How can we use an induction proof problem to prove the impossible solution?

In an induction proof problem, we prove that a statement or equation holds true for all possible values of n. To prove that there is no specific solution to the equation, we can use mathematical induction to show that the equation holds true for n = 1, but does not hold true for the next value of n. This demonstrates that there is no specific solution to the equation, as it must hold true for all values of n, but there is no value of n that satisfies the equation.