Fidn intersection of two points parametrically, with two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a better way to find the point of intersection of two lines using parametric equations. It involves setting the x and y values of the two lines equal to each other and solving for the parameters s and t. The equations can be simplified by replacing the coefficients with the given values. The final step is to plug in the values for s and t to find the point of intersection. A possible approach is to set up two equations and solve for s and t separately before plugging them back into the original equations to find the point of intersection.
sognostella
1. A better way to find the point of intersection of two lines is parametrically as two linear interpolations b/w inital and final points.

x=(1-s)x1+sx2
y=(1-s)y1+sy2

where x1 and y1 are the inital points and x2,y2 are the final points.
(-6,-6) (5,2)

x=(1-t)x3+tx4
y=(1-t)y3+ty4
where x3 and y3 are the inital points and x4 &y4 are the final points.
(3,-3) (1,3)

2. how do you find intersection with these two variables

3. The Attempt at a Solution
set x(t)=y(t) and solve for t
t= (x3-y3)/(x3-x4-y3-y4)
set t into the x(t) & y(t)

x(s)=y(s)
s= (x1-y1)/(x1-x2-y1-y2)
set s into the x(s) & y(s)

then set x(s)=x(t) and y(s)=y(t)

What did i do wrong?

Another attempt:
setting set x(s)=x(t) and y(s)=y(t), gives me two equations with unknown (s &t) after i find s and t i can plug one into the equations to find intersection. but how do i find s or t?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't set "x(t)= y(t)"- the x and y coordinates of the point of intersection are not necessarily the same!

Instead, set the x(t)= x(s) and y(t)= y(s). That is, at the point of intersection, the x values from the two equations are the same and the y values of the two equations are the same.

Also, you should go ahead and replace the coeffients in the equations with the actual values. You are told, for example, that the first line is given by
"x=(1-s)x1+sx2
y=(1-s)y1+sy2

where x1 and y1 are the inital points and x2,y2 are the final points.
(-6,-6) (5,2)"
So put those in: x= (1-s)(-6)+ s(5), y= (1- s)(-6)+ s(2)
which reduce to x= -6+ 6s+ 5s= 11s- 6, y= -6+6s+ 2s= 8s- 6.

and you are told that, for the second line,
"x=(1-t)x3+tx4
y=(1-t)y3+ty4
where x3 and y3 are the inital points and x4 &y4 are the final points.
(3,-3) (1,3)
so that x= (1- t)(3)+ t(1) and y= (1- t)(-3)+ t(3) which reduce to
x= 3- 3t+ t= 3- 2t and y= -3+ 3t+ 3t= 6t- 3.

The point of intersection lies on both lines of course, so must satisfy both sets of equations:
x= 11s- 6= 3- 2t and y= 8s- 6= 6t+ 3.

That gives you two equations to solve for s and t which you can then put back into either set of equations to find the point.

the values I'm given are for checking that you have solved correctly. I'm have to make a program on matlab, that while work for any values of x1,x2,x3,x4,y1,y2,y3 or y4.

Sorry for not being more specific.

And thank you for your reply!

My friend is doing this same problem and his way of solving got him this:

s = (y3-y1+(-x1*y3+x3*y3+x1*y4-x3*y4)/(x4-x3))/(y2-y1+(-x1*y3+x2*y3+x1*y4-x2*y4)/(x4-x3));
t = (x1-s*x1+s*x2-x3)/(x4-x3)

he's not here to explain, but i can't seem to get similar answer for s equal.
I get how he for t. but...

I still can't figure this out.. .anyone out there... know how to solve this??

1. What is meant by "finding the intersection of two points parametrically"?

The intersection of two points parametrically refers to finding the point or points where two parametric equations intersect. This means finding the values of the variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously.

2. Why is it important to find the intersection of two points parametrically?

Finding the intersection of two points parametrically allows us to determine the relationship between two variables in a more precise way. It also helps in solving real-world problems and analyzing data.

3. What are the steps for finding the intersection of two points parametrically?

The steps for finding the intersection of two points parametrically are:

1. Write down the two parametric equations.
  2. Equate the two equations and solve for one variable in terms of the other.
  3. Substitute the value of the solved variable into one of the original equations to find the corresponding value of the other variable.
  4. Repeat this process for the other variable to obtain the values of both variables at the intersection point.

4. Can there be more than one intersection point when finding the intersection of two points parametrically?

Yes, there can be more than one intersection point when finding the intersection of two points parametrically. This means that there are multiple solutions or values of the variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously.

5. How is finding the intersection of two points parametrically different from finding it algebraically?

Finding the intersection of two points parametrically involves using parametric equations, where variables are expressed in terms of parameters. This allows for a more general and flexible approach to finding the intersection point. On the other hand, finding the intersection algebraically involves solving for the variables in terms of each other, which may be more limited in its scope.