1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating covariance from variances

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that X1, X2, and X3
    are independent random variables with variances 3, 4, and 8, respectively.
    Let Y1 = 2X1 + 3X2, Y2 = X3 – X2, and Y3 = X1 + X2 + X3. (a) Using the general
    relationship
    Cov(W+X, Y+Z) = Cov(W,Y) + Cov(W, Z) + Cov(X, Y) + Cov(X, Z), find
    Cov(Yi, Yj) for all i, j.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can set up the Cov(Yi, Yj) for all i, j easily enough, but I do not understand how to calculate, say, 2Cov(X1, X3) just from the variances of X1 and X3. I know this is trivial, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the covariance of two independent random variables?

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    Oh, boy...I seem to have missed the "independent" condition in the problem. It works out nicely that each combination seems to have a random variable with a covariance of itself somewhere in there. The rest all becomes 0s.

Thanks!

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

b
    Also: to compute the covariances you need to know the means of the X_i, which seem to not have been given. Were they given, and you just forgot to include them here?

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5
    They were not given but, thankfully, because they are independent, the only covariances that are not 0 are those that are just a covariance with itself, i.e. the variance already given--usually multiplied by some constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted