1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field and Displacement Inside Carvities Within A Dielectric

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the field inside a large piece of dielectric is [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex], so that the electric displacement is [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}+\vec{P}[/itex].

a. Now a small spherical cavity is hollowed out of the material. Find the field at the center of the cavity in terms of [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{P}[/itex]. Also find the displacement at the center of the cavity in terms of [itex]\vec{D}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{P}[/itex].

b. Do the same for a long needle-shaped cavity running parallel to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex].

c. Do the same for a thin wafer shaped cavity perpendicular to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}[/itex] when [itex]\vec{P}=0[/itex] (inside the cavity).

3. The attempt at a solution

For each part, I found the E of the cavity as if it were a solid piece, and then subtracted that from [itex]\vec{E}_{0}[/itex] to account for the change in [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]. Then, because [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}[/itex] inside the cavity, [itex]\vec{D}_{0}=\epsilon_{0}\vec{E}_{new}[/itex].

a. This part was simple. Inside a polarized sphere, [itex]\vec{E}=\frac{-1}{3\epsilon_{0}} \vec{P}[/itex], so [itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}_{0}+\frac{1}{3\epsilon_{0}} \vec{P}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{D}=\vec{D}_{0}-\frac{2}{3}\vec{P}[/itex].

b. Here it gets more tricky. The length of the needle is parallel to [itex]\vec{P}[/itex], so the [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] is pointed into and outside the ends. There would be a - charge and + charge at opposite ends, creating a field between them. But the field is negligible because the distance between them is large compared to the dipole? In that case, [itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}_{0}[/itex]. Once we neglect the field inside, I can move forward, but can anyone explain better why exactly we ignore that field.

c. Now we have a thin wafer-shaped cavity. I tried to use potential to calculate the electric field within the wafer.

[itex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\oint_{S}\frac{1}{r} \vec{P}\cdot d\vec{a}[/itex].

(I did not use the second half of this eqn because we are assuming uniform polarization, which means the gradient of polarization is 0.)

From here I find
    [itex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\triangledown}V=\frac{-1}{2\epsilon_{0}}\vec{P}[/itex].

I then multiplied this by 2 to account for the top and bottom sides of the wafer and found

[itex]\vec{E}_{new}=\vec{E}+\frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\vec{P}[/itex].

The answer is right, but I'm not sure about my work/reasoning.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2
    I'm fixing the code currently

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook