1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field and Waves Electromagnetics books

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    I know that the chances of someone replying to this are slim, but I figured it was worth a try.

At the moment I'm doing electromagnetism and we use 'Field and Waves Electromagnetics' by David Cheng. This book is decent in some respect, but in some places it doesn't explain things in detail. I was just wondering if anyone knew of good electromagnetism reading material that would complement this book well.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not familiar with the content of the Cheng book, but these two books were fun for me in undergrad, and I've continued to use them for a lot of years in my work:

"Applied Electromagnetics" by Plonus

"Engineering Electromagnetics" by Hayt

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What level is Cheng? If it is entry level, I would recommend Griffiths,
    "Introduction to Electrodynamics", which is a junior (UG) level text.
    If Cheng is already junior level, try Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism",
    which is a readable graduate text.

5. Aug 23, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Aug 23, 2006 #5
    I used that Griffiths book last year and agree that it is an excellent book.

7. Aug 24, 2006 #6
    Cheng is like a second year undergrad book.
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check all these out.
    I have to do a lot of study for this unit and I need some other books that can fill in the gaps of Cheng because the unit has a really high failure rate.
    Since I'm not one of the 'whiz kids' I need all the help I can get haha :)

Thanks again

8. Aug 24, 2006 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Aug 25, 2006 #8
    Thanks quasar you are a legend!!

The amount of e-books you can get off emule is amazing.

It's a bit choppy when downloading (cuts out and then starts again), but I don't mind waiting a bit longer because I wouldn't be able to get these books anywhere else.

You are right as well...the Griffiths text is great for giving you a clear understanding of the fundamentals.

Again, I appreciate all the help :)

10. Aug 25, 2006 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, another tip, when you are running a search in Emule, it REALLY makes a difference to connect to the most populated server (in terms of files available), which is usually DonkeyServer No1 or 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?