1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field due to two parallel sheets of charge

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

friends,
    in the given attachment, how the directions of E1 and E2 are drawn? i mean what is the procedure to draw the directions. help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The field from the positive sheet points away from the sheet; the field from the negative sheet points toward the sheet. Is that what you mean?

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3
    sir, the sheet on the left side has positive charge so field points away but the sheet on the right has negative charge, then how E1- points away? it should point inwards, shouldn't it? apologize me if my query is silly. just i want to know the concept, sir.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

E1 is the field from the positive sheet (the left one). It always points away from the positive sheet.

E2 is the field from the negative sheet (the right one). It always points away from the negative sheet.

Note that the diagram shows two regions:
    (a) between the sheets, which is to the right of the + sheet and to the left of the - sheet
    (b) to the right of the - sheet, which is also to the right of the + sheet

In both those regions the field from the positive sheet (E1) points away from the + sheet, thus to the right. The field from the negative sheet (E2), since it always points toward the - sheet, points right in region (a), but left in region (b).

6. Aug 15, 2009 #5
    Thanks a lot sir.
    I understood now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook