Question: Why is this Extension Normal?

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether the extension S:K is Galois and describing the structure of the Galois group Gal(S:K) for the polynomial x^3+2x+1 over ##F_3##. The attempt at a solution involves constructing the splitting field of F_3 and adjoining a root r, but there is confusion about how to determine if the extension F_3(r):F_3 is normal. It is suggested to calculate the other two roots of the polynomial instead.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I'm following the solutions to a homework tutorial and I'm having trouble understanding why what they're saying is true.

Question: Let f be a polynomial in K[x] and let S be the splitting field of f over K. decide whether the extension S:K is galois and describe the structure of the Galois group Gal(S:K) for the polynomial x^3+2x+1 over ##F_3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

S:F_3 will be a galois extension because the polynomial is separable and S is a finite splitting field for f over F_3.

Now I tried to construct the splitting field of F_3 to figure out what S looks like by first noticing that f has no roots in F_3, I then adjoined a root r to F_3. My notes say that "F_3(r):F_3 is normal and so all the roots of the minimal polynomial are in F_7(r)." I'm quite confused on how they know this extension is normal. I get that S:F is Galois, but for any intermediate field K such that S>K>F the extension K>F is not gaurentee'd to be normal. How do they know F_3(r):F_3 is normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

I'm following the solutions to a homework tutorial and I'm having trouble understanding why what they're saying is true.

Question: Let f be a polynomial in K[x] and let S be the splitting field of f over K. decide whether the extension S:K is galois and describe the structure of the Galois group Gal(S:K) for the polynomial x^3+2x+1 over ##F_3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

S:F_3 will be a galois extension because the polynomial is separable and S is a finite splitting field for f over F_3.

Now I tried to construct the splitting field of F_3 to figure out what S looks like by first noticing that f has no roots in F_3, I then adjoined a root r to F_3. My notes say that "F_3(r):F_3 is normal and so all the roots of the minimal polynomial are in F_7(r)." I'm quite confused on how they know this extension is normal. I get that S:F is Galois, but for any intermediate field K such that S>K>F the extension K>F is not gaurentee'd to be normal. How do they know F_3(r):F_3 is normal?
Why ##\mathbb{F}_7##? You change the characteristic this way. If you have a root ##r##, why don't you calculate the other two roots of ##f(x)=x^3+2x+1##?

Likes PsychonautQQ
I'm sorry, I don't know why I keep typing ##F_7## >.<

1. Why is it important for an extension to be normal?

Extensions that are normal follow the basic principles and laws of science, making them reliable and reproducible. This is essential for conducting accurate experiments and obtaining valid results.

2. How do scientists ensure that an extension is normal?

Scientists use various methods such as control groups, statistical analysis, and peer review to confirm that an extension is normal. This involves comparing the results of the extension to expected outcomes and checking for any errors or biases.

3. What happens if an extension is not normal?

If an extension is not normal, it means that there are factors influencing the results that are not accounted for. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and hinder the progress of scientific research.

4. Can an extension be normal in one situation but not in another?

Yes, an extension may be considered normal in one situation but not in another. This is because different variables and conditions can affect the normality of an extension. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the context in which an extension is being used.

5. What is the significance of normal extensions in the scientific community?

Normal extensions play a crucial role in the advancement of science. They provide a solid foundation for building new theories and conducting further research. Without normal extensions, scientific progress would be hindered and our understanding of the world would be limited.